File is corrupted when trying to open in O365/2016 but works in Excel 2010? **!

mischifous

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I restarted my computer recently, and it had been a while. Now, when opening my excel file, O365 thinks it's corrupted. Upon trying to repair it, all the charts from one worksheet are no longer present. This worksheet had about 200 charts, and they are now all gone.
The funny thing is, the worksheet opens fine in excel 2010--all the charts, everything.I need it to work in O365 because of some of the features only 365 has, so 2010 is not a workaround at all
It's a >200mb excel file, so i can't share it. The charts took literally hundreds of hours to create, and I haven't run into issues like this until now. What could be causing this? Yes, i have it to manual calcualte formulas.

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier]<!--?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?-->[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier]< ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?>[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier]-< recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier]< logFileName>error049320_01.xml[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier]< summary>Errors were detected in file 'C:\Users\Username\Desktop\temp\Comparable Rel. Val. v290 06.08.18.xlsx'[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier]-< additionalInfo>[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier]< info>Excel completed file level validation and repair. Some parts of this workbook may have been repaired or discarded.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier]<!-- additionalInfo-->[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier]-< removedParts>[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier]< removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/drawings/drawing96.xml part. (Drawing shape)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier]< / removedParts>[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Question is also posted here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...3652016/623103a6-272f-4abc-a8b8-4e349a8d2784?

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I JUST recreated ALL OF THE graphs and saved. The following day I tried to reopen the excel file (on a different computer), and I'm getting that it's corrupted (again!). This time, it fails to recover anything at all!, displaying the following prompt:

khLMvwD.png

Please, please, help!

Upvote 0
This is less about recovering the file--I constantly save it and have versions backed up on the cloud. It is more about figuring out what went wrong so it doesn't keep happening!

Upvote 0
Where are you opening the workbook from? An email, network drive, hard drive, other?

Upvote 0
Hey RoryA-- thank you for giving this issue a try.

The file is being saved on a local drive. Occassionally, i will upload it to OneDrive (cloud) and then download it from there whenever I am on a different computer.

This issue keeps happening. It's the most bizzare thing because it does NOT even give me a corrupted error when I try to open it in 2010, while on the same computer, at the same time, 2016(o365) thinks it's corrupted. I'm afraid to restart my computer/close out of 2010 because it's been +2 weeks since I've closed the file and I worry that when i close it and/or restart my computer Excel 2010 will start giving me a corruption error just like 2016 is right now (with the same file)....

Also, I contacted the addon creator and he said he created the addon in excel 2016--so the charts are 2016 compatible....

ANy help appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only real success I've ever had with the few corrupt file has been to copy the raw data to a new Workbook.

"Also, I contacted the addon creator and he said he created the addon in excel 2016--so the charts are 2016 compatible...." Do you mean an Add-In? A macro that creates your charts?
If so, the macro may be using an older bit of code that is still compatible but based on 2010 procedures. There was an early release of PowerMap that I used that crated issues in one Workbook. Broke it. Even after removing all charts, the file would give a corruption error and indicate a chart was removed when there wasn't one anymore.

Unfortunately, these corruption errors seem to require some "voo-doo" or dark-magic to remove. Grind up a USB drive or an older Pentium chip and offer as a burnt offering.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back