Not Getting Prompt to Save File when closing excel, when file has clearly been changed

boydbob1

File 2 has a linked cell pulling data from File 1.

When File 2 is opened, Data in linked cell is updated, clearly changing File 2, but I do not get prompted to save file 2 when I close it. It just closes without saving.

If I edit/add anything to File 2 manually, I do get the prompt to save when closing it.

How do I get the prompt to save when closing when only the linked cell data is updated?

These are brand new spreadsheets with an entry in cell A1 of File 1 and the link formula in cell A1 of File 2. That is all...nothing else added...no-addins

Excel 2016. Never had this trouble in excel 2003

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I am not getting this error, I tried a few different variations using saved workbooks and workbooks that have not been saved yet and I am always prompted to save File 2 if I make changes to File 1. I set this up as you described File 1 nothing in A1, File 2 with link to File 1 A1 in cell A1.

Using Excel 2016 Windows 10

You might try reinstalling Excel?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tried that too. Had 2003 installed before, and remember making some registry tweaks (can't recall them though). I might just do a clean windows install and see if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I have edited your post, as it was against board policy. Please see rule#4

If you wish to share your files, please do so via a share site & post the link to the thread.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadMarty

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back