Workbooks.Open and Localisation

Alderm

I have created an Excel dashboard that uses VBA code to import data files in csv format. The data includes dates, and since I and other users are European I had to add the "Local:=True" parameter to my Workbooks.Open command to avoid certain European format dates being converted into US date formats.

This worked well for me. I am based in the UK so my Windows local settings are DD/MM/YY date format and the delimiter is comma. However when I tried to enable the same dashboard with import code for a colleague in Austria I hit a problem with the delimiter. In Austria the Windows delimiter is a semi-colon, which meant the CSV files were not delimited when opened by them.

Luckily Workbooks.Open has another parameter - Format - which allows me to default to using a comma for files opened with this command. Therefore adding Format:=2 as a parameter for Workbooks.Open meant the data import then also worked for my Austrian colleague.

However... here is the problem: the Format:=2 only worked when I removed the Local:=True parameter. If I include Local:=True, in whatever sequence, with Format:=2 the Format parameter is then ignored and the csv file is loaded assuming a semi-colon delimiter. If I delete the Local:=True parameter then the import switches to commas but the date format problem reappears!

It seems that Local cancels out or takes priority over Format. Is there anything I can do to enable both? Or is there a different way to achieve both?

Thanks for any advice!

Peter

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Have you tried using OpenText instead, which will allow you to specify separators, as well as date formats using the FieldInfo argument?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back