VBA - Vlookup

RoseChapman

Hi, could anyone help me, please?
I have to copy from the Test2 spreadsheet from column AG to AJ and from column AL to BB and paste them in test 1 spreadsheet. The table array in Test 2 is E:BB. The formula below copy all columns, but I do not need to paste all columns I just need the ones I've mentioned above. What shall I include in the formula to be able to get what I need? many thanks for your help.

Sub Test()

For i = 8 To 100
For j = 1 To 22

On Error Resume Next
Sheets("Test1").Cells(i, j + 5).Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test1").Cells(i, 1).Value, Sheets("Test2").Range("E:BB"), j + 28, False)

On Error GoTo 0

Next j
Next i

End Sub

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Hi, it's not clear what you're asking and without being able to see your Pc monitor, can only guess what you might mean.

Can you provide an explicit example, e.g.

Cell A8 contains value <xxx> in Sheet Test1
Match it to column ? in sheet Test2 (e.g. match is found in cell Z4)If match is in row ?, then copy AG?:AJ?, AL?:BB? from Test2 to columns ?:? and ?:? in Test1
(e.g. match is in row 4, then copy AG4:AJ4 and AL4:BB4 from Test 2 to columns D:L in Test 1)

Use actual values for ? from your spreadsheet

Pretend you're explaining your issue to a blind person who can't see your PC screen. How much explicit information will help them suggest working code for you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello Offthelip, many thanks for your message, I have seen what you said in the link you provided but i am getting lost, sorry!

I am trying to use the code below, but I am getting a bit confused, i hope you can help me.

I want to paste the values from sheet1 in sheet2, for that i want to see if the reference numbers in sheet 1 (column E) are in sheet 2 (column A), then if the reference number in sheet 1 (column E) matches the reference number in sheet 2 (column A), then take the values from sheet 1 columns AG to AJ and also from sheet 1 columns AL to BB and Paste all these columns in sheet 2 columns F to I (the ones which are AG to AJ in sheet 1) and columns K to AA (the ones which are AL to BB in Sheet 1). I know this is a bit of the hassle, sorry!. But many thanks for your help in advance.

Dim lastrow, lastrow2, i As Long
Dim Searchfor, j, inarr As Variant

'Data Dump Sheet
With Sheets("Sheet 2")
lastrow = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
inarr = Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(lastrow, 20))

End With

'Values to look up & paste Sheet
With Sheets("Sheet 1")
lastrow2 = .Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row
' load variant array with sercha variables
searcharr = Range(.Cells(1, 2), .Cells(lastrow2, 2))
' define an output aray
outarr = Range(.Cells(2, 3), .Cells(lastrow2, 19))
End With

On Error Resume Next
For i = 2 To lastrow2
For j = 2 To lastrow
Searchfor = searcharr(i, 1)

If inarr(j, 1) = Searchfor Then
For kk = 2 To 18
outarr(i, kk - 1) = inarr(j, kk)
Next kk

Exit For

End If
Next j
Next i
' writeout the output array
With Sheets("Sheet 1")
Range(.Cells(2, 3), .Cells(lastrow2, 19)) = outarr
End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
You are on the right track, try this, I am assuming that you want the dat copied across to the row on sheet 2 where the refernce number is found.
Code:
Sub test()
'Data Dump Sheet
With Sheets("Sheet2")
lastrow2 = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
refno2 = Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(lastrow2, 1))
outarr = Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(lastrow2, 27))
End With
With Sheets("Sheet1")
lastrow1 = .Cells(Rows.Count, "E").End(xlUp).Row
inarr = Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(lastrow1, 54))
End With

For i = 2 To lastrow1
  For j = 2 To lastrow2
   ' check refnumbers to find the row to copy to
   If inarr(i, 5) = refno2(j, 1) Then
     ' now copy sheet1 data to ouptput array
      For k = 6 To 27
       ' check if column j, if so don't copy
       If k <> 10 Then
        outarr(j, k) = inarr(i, k + 27)
       End If
      Next k
      Exit For
   End If
 Next j
Next i

With Sheets("Sheet2")
 Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(lastrow2, 27)) = outarr
End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello offthelip,
many thanks for trying to help, much appreciated, but i don't get what i need, I have tried to fix it but it gets worse.

I want to paste the values from sheet1 in sheet2, for that i want to see if the reference numbers in sheet 1 (column E) are in sheet 2 (column A), then if the reference number in sheet 1 matches the reference number in sheet 2 then take the values from sheet 1 only the columns AG:AJ and AL:BB and Paste these columns in sheet 2 columns F:I and K:AA.

I do not want to paste Column AK from sheet 1 to column J in sheet 2. Many thanks

Upvote 0
I believe that is exactly what the code I have written does,
what is going wrong? Does the code not run, is it copying data from the wrong place or to the wrong palce or over writing stuff which is already there. Give me a clue as to where the error is. I believe I have done it exactly to your description howver your requirements are not totallly clear, I had to make an assumption as to which rows you wanted it written and what to do about the other columns.

Upvote 0
Hi Offthelip,
many thanks for your help. Well what it does is, it takes the reference numbers which are in column A, sheet1 and it paste it in horizontal all across in sheet 2.
It does not copy the values from columns AG:AJ and AL:BB from sheet 2 and paste then in sheet 1 columns F:I and and K:AA. I don't know what to do. Many thanks for your help

Upvote 0
You quite clearly state in your post 4
I want to paste the values from sheet1 in sheet2,
That is exactly what i have done. No you seem to be asking to paste from sheet 2 to sheet 1

What about defining exactly what you do want. Define exactly which columns on which sheet to which columns on which sheet

I will help you if you give me a clear unambiguous definition.

I want to paste the values from sheet1 in sheet2, for that i want to see if the reference numbers in sheet 1 (column E) are in sheet 2 (column A), then if the reference number in sheet 1 matches the reference number in sheet 2 then take the values from sheet 1 only the columns AG:AJ and AL:BB and Paste these columns in sheet 2 columns F:I and K:AA.

I thought this was fairly clear, so hat is what you got

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry for not being clear, it confuses me too. The code does not do the job, it copies all the reference numbers in column E ( Sheet 1) onto rows from B to AA in sheet 2.
Let's see if this explanation is clearer.
I need to run a vlookup comparing column E in sheet 1 with column A in sheet 2. Then copy the values on columns AG to AJ of sheet 1 for the matching rows found in the lookup onto columns F to I on sheet 2, and columns AL to BB of sheet 1 onto columns K to AA on sheet 2.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealJoaquin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back