brose99

If I have the following data set:

.....A...
1 2.9
2 0.7
3 -0.8
4 -2.5

In cell A6, I want to sum all of A1 thru A4 and average it out =SUM(A1:A4)/4

but...when I add another row of figures at the top of the set and delete a line of figures at the bottom of the set,
for example, now I have:

.....A...
1 -2
2 2.9
3 0.7
4 -0.8

I now have a Fx in A6 that reads =SUM(A2:A4)/4 because I added a row of figures in row 1 and deleted a row of figures in row 4.

I want the Fx in A6 to stay the same when I add and delete rows of information so it always reads without me having to manually go back and change A2 to A1 each time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
@brose99.... Assuming you have nothing (unrelated) below the column of numbers to be averaged, use =AVERAGE(A1:A1000), assuming you might have as many as 1000 numbers sometimes. The AVERAGE function ignores empty cells in ranges. Change 1000 to whatever you think is a reasonable upper limit. Avoid using A:A.

Upvote 0
@joeu2004, I also considered a solution like yours but brose99 wrote that the formula was in A6.

Thanks. I looked for that, but I overlooked it.

In that case, I would write =AVERAGE(A1:A5), assuming that A5 is an always-empty cell to separate the average from the data. As we insert between A1 and A5, the range A1:A5 is changed automagically.

Alternatively, =AVERAGE(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,ROW()-1). That allows cells to be inserted above A1 as well as above A6.

The range INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,4) does not ease the maintenance burden. The number 4 might still need to be modified manually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back