Delimit formula not working

Edgee1

Hi

I need a little help on this one. I am separating (or trying to ) separate data that has come from a SharePoint list where the user can select multiple options. Everywhere I have looked has suggested using this formula

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE($A1,";#",REPT(" ",99)),COLUMN(A1)*99-98,99))

as my go to to separate the responses across multiple columns, no matter how many times I have tried this and yes I have updated the cell reference so that it points to the cell in my query the formula returns a blank. The user can select up to 13 options (I doubt any will) so I recognise that I will need 13 columns to drop the data into once separate. How the code looks is irrelevant as the worksheet is only a sheet for holding calculations - it is not for presentation. I would prefer that no vba is used on this or if anyone has a suggestion on vba, it is kept simple (it's not my space)

This is an example of how the content in the output worksheet may be presented:

Yes - Childcare/Preschool;#Yes - Public Open Space/Recreation Users;#Yes - Residential - Medium Density;#Yes - Unable to be Determined

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
...the perils of doing this on the train:(

The output is typical of SharePoint using ;# as the separator. In looking at all the forums, all suggest this formula but to no avail - no matter what I try it produces only a blank.

Hopefully someone can help me out here.

Upvote 0
Hi,

There is no such thing as a "go to" formula for data extraction from a Text String, these formulas are Not universal, every formula has to be "Custom" built for a specific set of data, but your formula is close.
I wonder what you mean by "it produces only a blank", I tried your formula, it failed after the 3rd separation, but the first 3 worked.

Since you say up to 13 options may be selected, try this:

Book1
ABCDE
1Yes - Childcare/Preschool;#Yes - Public Open Space/Recreation Users;#Yes - Residential - Medium Density;#Yes - Unable to be DeterminedYes - Childcare/PreschoolYes - Public Open Space/Recreation UsersYes - Residential - Medium DensityYes - Unable to be Determined
Sheet92
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(";#"&$A1,";#",REPT(" ",LEN($A1)*13)),COLUMNS($B1:B1)*LEN($A1)*13,LEN($A1)*13))

B1 formula copied across as far as needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks jtakw

By producing a blank - the cell was empty...nothing was showing. But not a problem now as your solution worked sensationally. Thanks so much

Upvote 0
You're welcome, welcome to the forum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back