How to remove one entry from the Recent Documents list? (Excel 2007)

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a way, in Excel 2007, to remove just 1 entry from the Recent documents list?

In my personal QRG for Word 2007, I have a note that says that Alt+Ctrl+- (minus) will change the cursor to a thick vlack bar, which can then be used to remove entries from menus, including the Recent Documents list. I swear I did this a long time ago (years), but it isn't working today.

I know I can clear the list or change the number of entries displayed. I don't want to do this. I just want to remove a single entry.

I understand that starting with 2010, I can right-click on the entry and get a list of actions, including "remove from list".

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hi

I may be wrong but I don't remember the option to delete just 1 recent file. I remember the option to delete all the files in the list.

I guess you'd have to use vba, get the Recent Files list, find the item and delete it.

Upvote 0
I don't have a Win XP / MSO 2007 computer for testing, but most likely, this can be done by editing Windows Registry. Launch "regedit.exe" and search (Ctrl+F) for the target file name in Data (not, Keys, not Values). If it is found, it should be in subkey "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\1?.0\Excel\File MRU" in a REG_SZ value named like "Item 44". Just delete this value.

A word of caution: improper editing of Windows Registry can render your computer inoperable.

Upvote 0
I don't have a Win XP / MSO 2007 computer for testing, but most likely, this can be done by editing Windows Registry. Launch "regedit.exe" and search (Ctrl+F) for the target file name in Data (not, Keys, not Values). If it is found, it should be in subkey "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\1?.0\Excel\File MRU" in a REG_SZ value named like "Item 44". Just delete this value.

A word of caution: improper editing of Windows Registry can render your computer inoperable.

Yeah, I found a couple of sites that show a procedure for editing the Registry. I'm not going there for the reasons you cite.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back