Fix a 3 second delay when entering text in any cell

lightmaster

I have a fairly large workbook (60+sheets) that I'm taking over maintaining. Its got a lot of macros in it that control moving data from entry sheets into databases, and collecting that data into report sheets. I've been successful speeding up several sheets that had macros that took 30+ seconds to complete and have gotten them down to 2-3 seconds, but for some reason whenever you enter data into any cell on any sheet, even a brand new sheet that's not referenced by anything else, there's a 2-3 second delay before excel allows you to do anything else. What are some things that I could look for that could be causing this lag, especially when you make a new sheet?

I might go back and make them recalculate only when the workbook opens, but as of now there are no more TODAY() functions in the entire workbook and I can't tell any input lag when entering data. I guess most of the input lag was from 1000s of TODAY() functions updating.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back