Auto linking data without multiple vlookups

Machalas

Apologies if this has been posted before but I have been looking and can't seem to find the answer or if it is possible.

What I need to know if it's possible with one formula to autofill all of the various cells in the summary sheet (copy attached) with the corresponding information in the WLA sheet without having to put individual formulas in each cell in the summary sheet - i.e. to almost read across the headers in the summary sheet and find the corresponding cell in the WLA sheet. All the referencing will be within the same spreadsheet so hopefully this will make it much easier

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi. Do you mean get the column index number via matching the headers? Yes you could use index match match or vlookup match. Cant really be more specific without you being more specific on your layout.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for your reply - the picture on the left is the summary, the picture on the right is WLA. I have headers in the summary that appear in various places in the WLA. what I didnt want to do was put loads of VLookups in and wanted to know for example if I enter the staff code can I get each of the headers to autofill in the summary sheet with the data that is located in the WLA. There are going to be lots of tabs for the WLA one for each member of staff that will pull in data from various other sheets but I wanted to know if it's possible for me to create a summary with just one formula i.e. look for the corresponding data, thanks

Upvote 0
There isnt a picture. Just copy the data in excel or a representative example and paste it here.

Upvote 0
Hi Apologies it showed in my screen - these are the headers (examples entered) but the layout isn't the same in the other worksheet

Staff codeNameDepartmentSubject GroupGradeFTETotal workload hours available% allocationResearch and ScholarshipTeaching AllocationTeaching-related AllocationAcademic Mgt & AdminTotal
TBCJohn SmithFinanceAccounts51150018.914800135238

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2523;width:52pt" width="69"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4132;width:85pt" width="113"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2998;width:62pt" width="82"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3510;width:72pt" width="96"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:1645;width:34pt" width="45"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2084;width:43pt" width="57"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:7204;width:148pt" width="197"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3145;width:65pt" width="86"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:6070;width:125pt" width="166"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4754;width:98pt" width="130"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:6656;width:137pt" width="182"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:5632;width:116pt" width="154"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2157;width:44pt" width="59"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

this is the layout in the other worksheet:

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
Year18/19WLA summaryJS1
NameJohn SmithResearch and Scholarship148
Staff CodeJS1Teaching Allocation0.0
DepartmentFinanceTeaching-related Allocation0.0
Subject GroupAccountsAcademic Mgt & Admin135.00
Grade5Total283.0
FTE1
Total workload hours available1500
% allocation18.9%
Research & Scholarship148.0
Scholarship and External Engagement148
PG Cert HE0
Research allocation0
Staff PhD allocation0
Mentoring0Max combined total of 252
Grading papers/REF duties0
Designated School-wide research role(s)0

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:9947;width:204pt" width="272"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:8704;width:179pt" width="238"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:7424;width:152pt" width="203"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3986;width:82pt" width="109"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:6656;width:137pt" width="182"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4864;width:100pt" width="133"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

thanks

Upvote 0
Hi, yes there is a sheet per person - I was given the layout as the larger spreadsheet has already been created. I would have created it somewhat differently

Upvote 0
So based on John Smith being typed into cell B2 of the summary you can use this. Be aware these type of formulas are slow.

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A$1,INDIRECT("'"&$B2&"'!$A:$A"),0)),VLOOKUP(A$1,INDIRECT("'"&$B2&"'!$E:$F"),2,0),VLOOKUP(A$1,INDIRECT("'"&$B2&"'!$A:$B"),2,0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back