1900 v 1904 date systems

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I was working on a sheet to compare actual vs expected times (0-60 minutes) when I ran into a problem with negative time differences. If the difference between the expected and actual items was positive (non-negative), no problem, but if it was negative, the cell, which was formatted as "+h:mm;-h:mm;=h:mm", was filled with # signs. No matter how wide I made that cell, it still showed "#################". This only happens if it is formatted as time. If it is formatted as a number, it correctly shows the negative value. What's up with that?

One website said I need to switch to the 1904 date system. I tried that and it fixed the problem with the negative times. But I'm wondering what else it involves. What other gotchas does M$FT have in store for me?

I did a little more testing and reading.

It appears that the setting applies to the entire workbook (all sheets), but not to other workbooks. Is that correct? If I change one workbook, that will not affect any others. On the other hand, if I want to switch over to the 1904 system completely, I will have to change each of my hundreds of workbooks one at a time. Right?

Several websites said that there can be some compatibility issues, but it seemed that it was mostly in sharing data. I rarely share any of my workbooks with others or even import data from others. Can I still run into a problem in that area?

Can I run into problems if I change an existing workbook with existing date data from one system to another? I switched a couple back and forth and it didn't seem to change any of the output.

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Should I switch over to the 1904 system for everything? I doubt I will have to deal with dates before 1904.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
all dates between different work books will be out by four years, a 1000 in one will be different to another where applied. when I have used it I choose to put that on a sheet to demonstrate that this book has a difference, you might add it to the file name. Really becomes an issue if you share books with others. In the book isn't an issue

Upvote 0
Any existing dates will adjust to display differently, though the underlying number value will remain the same.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back