Conditional Inclusion of a Drop-Down List

expos4ever

I will illustrate my challenge by way of a simple example. Suppose I have a list of 25 baseball player names (A1 through A25) on sheet 2. Suppose, further, that I create a "yes-no" drop down in each cell in the range B1:B25 (sheet 2) - this lets me choose which players go in today`s lineup. On another sheet (sheet 1), I use a trick I learned from someone to present a single (column-based) list of the players I have selected for today's lineup with no "blanks" - one single column identifying all players with a "yes" from the first sheet.

This trick is based on the use of a formula that I found (uses INDEX, SMALL, ROW functions). Here is the formula for my actual problem (the baseball player thing is a simplified example):

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$D$1:$D$4,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$B$1:$B$4<>Sheet2!$E$1,ROW(Sheet2!$D$1:$D$4)),ROW(Sheet2!1:1)),1),"")

With this as background and returning to the baseball example, I would like to have sheet 1 make another drop-down list available for each selected player (e.g. what position they will play); I can then make the appropriate position selections on sheet 1. I think the way to do this is to create a column of 25 cells with this new "position" drop down list of sheet 2, and then figure out how to selectively copy the position drop-down list (to sheet 1) for only those players selected to go in the line-up. Hope that is clear.

In short, I fear that it is impossible to copy a drop down list (the list itself, not a selection from that list) from one cell to another using a formula.

Any advice appreciated.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
I think that you will need a macro to do what you want. Do you have a list of positions on a sheet somewhere? If you do, on which sheet and in what range?

Upvote 0
I think that you will need a macro to do what you want. Do you have a list of positions on a sheet somewhere? If you do, on which sheet and in what range?
My actual problem is a little more complicated than the baseball player scenario. Instead of a list of baseball players, I have a list of activities, organized by category. For example, I have something like this in column A of sheet 2:

Category 1 Events
a
b
c
Category 2 Events
d
e
f
Category 3 Events
g
h
i
j

Per another thread (that you responded to), I have successfully implemented a system whereby in column B of sheet 2, I have a yes-no drop-down list so that I can choose which categories and activities within categories get presented in a single gap-less list on sheet 1. So suppose I select Yes for everything in the above list except b,c,e,f, g,h. Then, as desired, I get this on sheet 1:

Category 1 Events
a
Category 2 Events
d
Category 3 Events
i
j

What I would like to do now is this: just as I have selectively copied activities (and categories of activities) from column A of sheet 2 based on the yes-no value in sheet 2, column B, I would like to selectively copy a drop-down list from column C of sheet 2 that represents the "degree of completion" of a task (not started, underway, complete). However - and this is where my real problem is more complicated than the baseball example - I only want that drop-down list to be present for a selected activity (such as "a") but not for a selected category (e.g. Category 1 Events).

Does that tell you what you need to know? Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I seem to be unable to edit my previous post - please replace the word "activity" with the word "event".

Upvote 0
I think that it would be easier to help and test possible solutions if I could work with your actual file which includes the macros you are currently using. Perhaps you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Include a detailed explanation of what you would like to do using a few examples form your data and referring to specific cells, rows, columns and worksheets. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Upvote 0
Hi mumps. Tried to make the sheet "non-confidential" - somehow changed functionality in the process. This is getting too complicated for me, and my boss would not approve of me spending too much time tinkering with excel. I will use an ugly brute force approach. Too bad excel is so complicated - I guess this is an unavoidable consequence of the rich functionality. Thanks, however, for your interest.

Upvote 0
I found this code a while back created by Rick Rothstein. Try it on a copy of your file. It should de-sensitize text only in your workbook. It may do what you want if you have time to give it a try and look at the results. Place the code in a regular module and run the "Obfuscate" macro.
Code:
Sub Obfuscate()
' Created by Rick Rothstein
  Dim X As Long, WS As Worksheet, Cell As Range
  Dim Txt As String, UpperLetters As String, LowerLetters As String
  Randomize
  UpperLetters = Join(RandomizeArray(Split(StrConv("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ", vbUnicode), Chr(0))), "")
  LowerLetters = Join(RandomizeArray(Split(StrConv("abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz", vbUnicode), Chr(0))), "")
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  For Each WS In Sheets
    For Each Cell In WS.Cells.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues)
      Txt = Cell.Value
      For X = 1 To Len(Txt)
        If Mid(Txt, X, 1) Like "[A-Z]" Then
          Mid(Txt, X) = Mid(UpperLetters, Asc(Mid(Txt, X, 1)) - 64, 1)
        ElseIf Mid(Txt, X, 1) Like "[a-z]" Then
          Mid(Txt, X) = Mid(LowerLetters, Asc(Mid(Txt, X, 1)) - 95, 1)
        End If
      Next
      Cell.Value = Txt
    Next
  Next
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Function RandomizeArray(ArrayIn As Variant) As String()
' Created by Rick Rothstein
  Dim Cnt As Long, RandomIndex As Long, Tmp As String
  Randomize
  For Cnt = UBound(ArrayIn) To LBound(ArrayIn) Step -1
    RandomIndex = Int((Cnt - LBound(ArrayIn) + 1) * Rnd + LBound(ArrayIn))
    Tmp = ArrayIn(RandomIndex)
    ArrayIn(RandomIndex) = ArrayIn(Cnt)
    ArrayIn(Cnt) = Tmp
  Next
  RandomizeArray = ArrayIn
End Function

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back