Most efficent way to find first occurance of a value in a range

eikogs

I am trying to improve a bad habit of using For loops to loop trough a column to find the a value so that can use the row number in other parts of my code. I would like some input if the soluon I have found is the most efficient way to accomplish this.

This is my new solution. Is this the most efficient way to accomplish what I am tryng to do?

Code:
    Dim SearchVal As Variant
    Dim CheckRange As Range
    Dim RowNum As Long

Set CheckRange = Columns("A:A")
    SearchVal = "test1"

On Error Resume Next
    RowNum = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(SearchVal, CheckRange, 0)
    On Error GoTo 0

MsgBox RowNum

Please let me know if you have a better way. Would it matter if I used a shorter range, like "A1:A1000"?

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
The match function is very fast so you probably won't see a big speed change if you narrow the search range. You can avoid a runtime error if there is no match like this:

Rich (BB code):
Dim RowNum as Variant
RowNum = Application.Match(SearchVal, CheckRange, 0)
If not IsError(RowNum) Then 
'do something

If a match is not found an error (but not a runtime error) will be generated so RowNum will be some error number rather than a long, which is why you want to Dim RowNum as variant.

Upvote 0
I don't know how the speed compares to Application.Match, but I think the Find function is quite fast...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]RowNum = CheckRange.Find(SearchVal, Cells(Rows.Count, "A"), xlValues, xlWhole, , xlNext, False, , False).Row[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
I don't know how the speed compares to Application.Match, but I think the Find function is quite fast...
Code:
[TABLE="width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]RowNum = CheckRange.Find(SearchVal, Cells(Rows.Count, "A"), xlValues, xlWhole, , xlNext, False, , False).Row[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
I don't know how the speed compares either. The most apparent difference is that the Find Method will generate a runtime error if there is no match.

Upvote 0
The most apparent difference is that the Find Method will generate a runtime error if there is no match.
Which the OP's On Error Resume Next statement will catch. With RowNum declared as Long, the code line I suggested will return 0 if there is no match (which can easily be tested for in later code if necessary).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can avoid the error very easily when using find. The Find method of a Range object returns either a Range or the special object variable Nothing. The result can be tested in an IF statement. The additional code's affect on execution speed would be infinitesimal.

Code:
Dim Cell    As Range
Dim RowNum  As Long

Set Cell = CheckRange.Find(SearchVal, Cells(Rows.Count, "A"), xlValues, xlWhole, , xlNext, False, , False)

If Cell Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox SearVal & " was Not Found.", vbExclamation
        Exit Sub
    End IF

RowNum = Cell.Row

Upvote 0
I don't know how the speed compares either. The most apparent difference is that the Find Method will generate a runtime error if there is no match.

About Find x Application.Match
https://fastexcel.wordpress.com/2011/10/26/match-vs-find-vs-variant-array-vba-performance-shootout/

where i see
Conclusions
Don’t use Range.Find unless you want to search a large number of columns for the same thing (you would have to do a Match for each column).
The Variant array approach is surprisingly effective, particularly when you expect a large number of hits.
Match wins easily for a small number of hits.

M.

Upvote 0
https://fastexcel.wordpress.com/2011/10/26/match-vs-find-vs-variant-array-vba-performance-shootout/

where i see
Conclusions
Don’t use Range.Find unless you want to search a large number of columns for the same thing (you would have to do a Match for each column).
The Variant array approach is surprisingly effective, particularly when you expect a large number of hits.

M.
Thanks for posting... good to know.

Upvote 0

where i see
Conclusions

M.
Thanks for the reference Marcelo!

Upvote 0
@Marcelo. thanks for that. I am pleased to see that variant arrays (which I am always extolling the virtues of) only lose out when the time is less than 20 milliseconds

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back