Need to nest indirect with index match

forginganewone

Board Regular
[FONT=&quot]Lets assume i have sheet names in cell A1,B1.C1.D1 and my required data can be in any of those sheets.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What i want to do is make index match formula search on all 4 of those sheets on 2 criteria picking from A2 and A3.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I can even tell that A2 criteria values will be in column D of those sheets and A3 criteria values will be in column A of those sheets.

P.S. The list sheet names in A1,B1,C1,D1 are already derived from an array formula.[/FONT]

So the formula is : =IFERROR(INDEX(sheets,SMALL(IF(COUNTIFS(INDIRECT(sheets&"!D:D"),$A2,INDIRECT(sheets&"!A:A"),$A3)>0,TRANSPOSE(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTA(sheetaname))))),COLUMN(A1))),"")

Its not working and also giving wrong value at the end.

the last sheetname should also replace with the name "sheets".

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
I cann't access to your workbook. I send you a private message, you can send email to me.

Upvote 0
F7=IFERROR(INDEX(sheets,SMALL(IF(COUNTIFS(INDIRECT(sheets&"!D:D"),$A2,INDIRECT(sheets&"!A:A"),$A3)>0,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTA(sheets)))),COLUMN(A1))),"")

Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(sheets,SMALL(IF(COUNTIFS(INDIRECT(sheets&"!D:D"),$A2,INDIRECT(sheets&"!A:A"),$A3)>0,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTA(sheets)))),COLUMN(A1))),"")

Copy formula to G7:I7.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F7=IFERROR(INDEX(sheets,SMALL(IF(COUNTIFS(INDIRECT(sheets&"!D:D"),$A2,INDIRECT(sheets&"!A:A"),$A3)>0,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTA(sheets)))),COLUMN(A1))),"")

Code:
=[B]IFERROR(INDEX[/B](sheets,SMALL([B]IF(COUNTIFS(INDIRECT(sheets&"!D:D"),$A2,INDIRECT(sheets&"!A:A"),$A3)>0[/B],ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTA(sheets)))),COLUMN(A1))),"")

Copy formula to G7:I7.

YES !!! THIS is exactly what i was looking for. You are a genius !
Thank you for taking time out to help me.

The Bold text in formula is the part which i understand, can you kindly tell me what other functions are doing so it will help me in future to amend it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In your case COUNTA(sheets)=4 which means there are 4 values in "sheets". ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTA(sheets)))) returns row(1:4) and then returns {1;2;3;4}.

If COUNTIFS returns TRUE, which means the 2 criterias are met in such sheet, IF function will return the serial number of the sheet's name stored in G1:G4. For example, if sheet A and B met all the 2 criterias, IF function will return {1,2,FALSE,FALSE}. SMALL(
{1,2,FALSE,FALSE},column(A1))=SMALL({1,2,FALSE,FALSE},1) will return the smallest value 1. Copy formula to the right cell, SMALL({1,2,FALSE,FALSE},column(B1))=SMALL({1,2,FALSE,FALSE},2) will return the second smallest value 2. 1 or 2 are all the serial number of sheets' name stored in G1:G4 in case the 2 criterias are all met in those sheets. Finally, use INDEX gets the sheet's name.

English is a foreing language to me, hope you can understand above explanation.

Upvote 0
Change the COLUMN(A1) bit to COLUMNS($A:A) if you are copying the formula columnwise for the sake of robustness.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tish101

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back