multiple interpolation involving datalogged values to convert sampling frequency

nwohs

I am a beginner in Excel who was plunged reluctantly into a doctoral degree post retirement age. I work in occupational health & safety.

I have the need to convert data recorded by dataloggers in three instruments, from one sample per minute to one sample per one second or one sample per 2 seconds for later comparison with data recorded once per second or once per 2 seconds by a fourth instrument. The data recorded once per minute include temperature and concentration of CO. The datalogger in the instrument recording once per second or once per two seconds has storage for 9999 data points. Hence, each expanded column will have 9999 data points for each file to be expanded.

I recognize that the expansion will occur through interpolation. The temperature values are either constant or change very slightly with time. The CO concentration changed linearly.

I noticed in other threads that participants are asking for small-scale interpolations. I have about 100 days of measurement each providing 3 columns of values requiring interpolation. Each value in the column is a fixed point. Between every 2 fixed points must be inserted 59 interpolated values or 29 interpolated values depending on whether sampling by the other instrument occurred once per second or once per two seconds. Every 2 fixed points determine the delta value to be bridged but each fixed point is to be used only once in the expansion of the data points as in the following example.

start finish
a a
b 59 interpolated values
c b
d 59 interpolated values
c
59 interpolated values
d

I expect that this solution would benefit people in many disciplines who are using datalogging instruments operating on different sampling frequencies.

Many thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back