Max and VLookUp together?

RogerPenna

I have a Risk Analysis spreadsheet.

User registers a Risk, the number of the analysis, analysis date, risk probability, risk impact, days for next analysis. For the sake of clarity, lets not even consider the risk probability and risk impact.

So you have like
DATERISK NAME# ANALYSISDAYS NEXT ANALYSISDATE NEXT ANALYSIS
1/1/18Low Budget1601/3/18
1/1/18High Taxes1601/3/18
1/1/18Project Delays1901/4/18
1/3/18Low Budget2601/6/18
1/3/18High Taxes2601/6/18
current date: 11/07/18

<tbody>
</tbody>

Ok, notice I registered 3 risks and made an analysis number 1 of them. Two of the risks I decided to make a new analysis in 60 days. [DATE NEXT ANALYSIS] is the sum of [DATE]+[DAYS NEXT ANALYSIS]

So, on march, I re-analysied two of the risks. The 3rd risk, I should analyse only on April.

There are some formatting rules in place which make the DATE NEXT ANALYSIS get red, as the date approaches. HOWEVER, if a new analysis of that risk was made, I need to change the conditional formatting (to blue for example), so users seeing a big list of risks won´t get confused on which risks were already re-analysed and which ones are really pending a new analysis.

OK, enough explanations about the table. Formulas. I decided to have a hidden column that will tell the conditional formatting of [DATE NEXT ANALYSIS] if it should be blue or not.

My problem is with the formula for that hidden column.

It should check [RISK NAME], where any row with a Risk name Equal to the current row, but with a higher #Analysis , will mark as TRUE. Meaning that a new analysis of that risk was done and therefore the Data Warning should be blue, or set to zero, whatever.

Right now, all DATE NEXT ANALYSIS are RED, because current date is july and all rows have past dates.

However, I need the first two rows to be BLUE (because those two risks already had a 2nd analysis, so only NEXT DATE for analysis number 2 should be red.
Third row however must still be red, as the third risk did not get a 2nd analysis yet, so the DATE NEXT ANALYSIS of the first analysis is the one that is delayed.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Re: Max and VLookUp together? Or is there another way?

The column to calculate TRUE OR FALSE on line 2 (the first risk) should:

check all instances of [RISK NAME] with "Low Budget". Result are Lines 2 and 5.

Check Analysis Number of Lines 2 and 5. That's 1 and 2.

Get the Max out of 1 and 2. That's 2.

Check if 2 is bigger than that row (2) Analysis Number (1). Yes. So result is TRUE. NEXT DATE ANALYSIS is then conditionally formatted to be blue, based on TRUE result.

Suppose I create a 7th row, again with LOW BUDGET ANALYSIS. It's Analysis Number 3.
Row two check: TRUE (as before)

check all instances of [RISK NAME] with "Low Budget". Result are Lines 2, 5 and 7.

Check Analysis Number of Lines 2, 5 and 7. That's 1, 2 and 3.

Get the Max out of 1, 2 and 3. That's 3.

Check if 3 is bigger than that row (2) Analysis Number (1). Yes. So result is TRUE. NEXT DATE ANALYSIS is then conditionally formatted to be blue, based on TRUE result.

Row five check: TRUE

check all instances of [RISK NAME] with "Low Budget". Result are Lines 2, 5 and 7.

Check if 3 is bigger than that row (5) Analysis Number (2). Yes. So result is TRUE. NEXT DATE ANALYSIS is then conditionally formatted to be blue, based on TRUE result.

Row seven check: FALSE

Check if 3 is bigger than that row (7) Analysis Number (3). NO, IT'S THE SAME. So result is FALSE. NEXT DATE ANALYSIS is then conditionally formatted to as RED based on date being lower than current date.

Upvote 0

I guess that shortening the question, it is this:

What formula can i use that will find me the biggest number in [#ANALYSIS] that corresponds to a risk in [RISK NAME] which is the same as the [RISK NAME] in current formula row?

Upvote 0

If risk name is in column B and # analysis in column C then try the below formula,

Code:
=MAX(IF($B$2:$B$6=B2,$C$2:$C$6))

This should be confirmed by ctrl+shift+enter (Not just enter) since its array formula.

Upvote 0

Maybe this

=LOOKUP(2,1/(B$2:B$100=B2),C$2:C$100)>C2
copied down

M.

Upvote 0

Maybe this

=LOOKUP(2,1/(B$2:B$100=B2),C$2:C$100)>C2
copied down

M.

Obrigado Marcelo.

The array formula by VDS1 worked flawlessly, however, for one reason or the other, Excel crashed while I tried to do some tests.

I don´t really understand your formula.

The first value of Lookup is the value that the formula should look up. Why it's looking "2"? It could be 1, 2, 3, 4....

ps: no need to copy it down. It's a table.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

I meant:
This part of the formula
LOOKUP(2,1/(B$2:B$100=B2),C$2:C$100)
returns the value in C$2:C$100 correspondent to the last occurrence of B2 in B$2:B$100

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This part of the formula
LOOKUP(2,1/(B$2:B$100=B2),C$2:C$100)
returns the value in column C$2:C$100 correspondent to the last occurrence of the value in column B (B2 in this case)

To understand this part take a look at (excellent explanation by Aladin Akyurek)
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel...alue-unsorted-data-post492425.html#post492425

M.

Thanks, but this is waaaaay over my head. It seems to be based on an Excel flaw? Like using a flaw to get something right out of an unintended consequence?

How do I mark this topic as solved? I am using the array solution, that worked flawlessly. I always forget about array solutions... :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back