cogswel__cogs

Board Regular
I have never worked in an environment as I am now where a number of important clients of mine are on apples.

I developed dashboards that I am in process of revising as some of the coding was not working on apple.

In meantime I have developed individual dasboad slides and a summary page that uses indirect formula, and Data validation and conditional formatting.

Would any of these areas give me issues on a mac?

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Most likely not. Code is the biggest difference between the two (with performance). I would recommend that you get hold of a Mac if you need to develop for Mac Office otherwise your life will become difficult!

Upvote 0
Hi,
Thanks
I put in request for a loaner to test in the future, its just I am doing demo of the slides for a client who is on a mac early next week and not sure if I would have in time to test.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
The biggest difference is that Mac does not support ActiveX. You'll have to make sure that all of the controls on the worksheets are from the Forms menu.
Userforms with standard controls should be fine, but no DatePicker.
No dictionary object. And the path separator for file location is different, you may have to switch all your hard coded seperators to Application.Separator to make your code cross-platform.

Going forward, you will want to look into Conditional Compilation.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I definitely had an activeX button for when they wanted to log on to data that was individual departmental performance.
I will change that.

What is Conditional Compilation?
Looked it up quick and I guess it more programming with added ifs dependent on active environment. Sound right

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Conditional Compilation

Code:
#If Mac Then
    ' code to compile if Mac environment
[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Else]#Else[/URL] 
    ' code for Windows environment
[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=End]#End[/URL]  If

The great thing is that it won't attempt to compile the other branch, so your Windows code can reference objects not supported by Mac (e.g. Dictionary) and not cause a compile error.

Upvote 0
Yeah thanks for pointing me to the concept.
Most of the people working in dashboard are assistants for upper people who have the Macs.
Its funny how the Macs stop at a certain level. I(t will allow me to get things working much faster

So is it that easy?
If I write
if Mac?
Im figuring its not but you never know.

Upvote 0
Yeah thanks for pointing me to the concept.
Most of the people working in dashboard are assistants for upper people who have the Macs.
Its funny how the Macs stop at a certain level. I(t will allow me to get things working much faster

So is it that easy?
If I write
if Mac?
Im figuring its not but you never know.

The # is important for conditional compilation

Code:
If Mac Then
 '...
End If
will look for a boolean variable named Mac

Code:
#If Mac Then
    '...
[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=End]#End[/URL]  If
will look at what machine its running on. (Note the #Else and #End If in post 6)

Upvote 0
Now I am confused

If I write
#if mac then
code will only run if Mac operating system is running?
Is it that easy?

I mean that part of it. I know I still need to do other stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back