VBA to select first item from drop down list which references a named range

husker5

I have a sheet which lists part numbers in column A and has a drop down list in column B which specifically corresponds to the part number in the adjacent cell. The drop down list references a name range "MyFinish" which has the following code "=OFFSET(MyFinishList,0,0,COUNTA(MyFinishList),1)"
"MyFinishList" is another namerange with the code "=INDEX(Table1,0,MATCH(Lozier!A13,Table1[#Headers],0))"
"myCategory" refers to the "Table1" Headers and has finish codes listed vertically under the "#Headers" which is each part number listed in Column A.

This allows the drop down to only list the available colors for the part listed in the adjacent cell.
If I change the part however, the displayed drop down value shows the previous item until it is manually clicked in which the list displays the updated items corresponding to the new part.

I would like to know if there is a way through VBA to automatically display the 1st item in the drop down list so that they are automatically updated anytime the part list in column A is updated.
I can perform this action if the data validation is referencing a range but have not figured out how to reference a name range.

I have uploaded a sample of my workbook along with my current code to simply update cell B2 to the 1st item.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5binlryifqlo56/Test.xlsm?dl=0

Code:
Sub ChangeFinish()
Range("B2").Value = Range(Replace(Range("B2").Validation.Formula1, "=", "")).Cells(1, 1).Value
End Sub

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
  • Right-click on the List sheet tab
  • Select View Code from the pop-up context menu
  • Paste the code from below in the worksheet's code module

Code:
[color=darkblue]Private[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color] Worksheet_Change([color=darkblue]ByVal[/color] Target [color=darkblue]As[/color] Range)
    [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] cell [color=darkblue]As[/color] Range, rng [color=darkblue]As[/color] Range
    [color=darkblue]If[/color] [color=darkblue]Not[/color] Intersect(Range("A:A"), Target) [color=darkblue]Is[/color] [color=darkblue]Nothing[/color] [color=darkblue]Then[/color]
        [color=darkblue]For[/color] [color=darkblue]Each[/color] cell [color=darkblue]In[/color] Intersect(Range("A:A"), Target)
            [color=darkblue]Set[/color] rng = Sheets("Table").Rows(1).Find(cell.Value, , , xlWhole, , , 0)
            [color=darkblue]If[/color] [color=darkblue]Not[/color] rng [color=darkblue]Is[/color] [color=darkblue]Nothing[/color] [color=darkblue]Then[/color]
                [color=darkblue]On[/color] [color=darkblue]Error[/color] [color=darkblue]Resume[/color] [color=darkblue]Next[/color]
                Application.EnableEvents = [color=darkblue]False[/color]
                cell.Offset(, 1).Value = rng.Offset(1).Value
                Application.EnableEvents = [color=darkblue]True[/color]
                [color=darkblue]On[/color] [color=darkblue]Error[/color] [color=darkblue]GoTo[/color] 0
            [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]If[/color]
        [color=darkblue]Next[/color] cell
    [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]If[/color]
End [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the quick reply. However, how do you activate this code and what is "Target" defined as?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back