Variable inside formula

predzer

Hi all,

I am trying to insert a variable into a formula. its not returning any error but it selects 5 columns before col value.

Code:
col = .column
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGEIF(Date,R9C,RC[-" & col  & "]:RC[-2])"

Without variable the code is, (active cell column number is 227)

Code:
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGEIF(Date,R9C,RC116:RC225)

col returns 116 but range selected is 111.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi all,

I am trying to insert a variable into a formula. its not returning any error but it selects 5 columns before col value.

Code:
col = .column
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGEIF(Date,R9C,RC[COLOR="#FF0000"][B][-[/B][/COLOR]" & col  & "[COLOR="#FF0000"][B]][/B][/COLOR]:RC[-2])"

Without variable the code is, (active cell column number is 227)

Code:
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGEIF(Date,R9C,RC116:RC225)

col returns 116 but range selected is 111.
That is because 227 - 116 = 111

If col =116 & you want RC116 in your formula, then you wouldn't have the red parts marked above.

What is Date in your formula?

Upvote 0

If col =116 & you want RC116 in your formula, then you wouldn't have the red parts marked above.

Date is a named range.

I tested without the brackets, and it works. Thanks for your time :)

Upvote 0

I am again stuck here, since i have defined 'date' as named range i cannot loop it for rest of the sheets. so i tried to replace date as a variable using below code. But its not working.

Code:
Dim date As Range
Set date = Range(ref, ref.End(xlToRight))  'ref is another range, this line of code works perfectly

Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGEIF(" & date & ",R9C,RC" & cp & ":RC" & cd & ")"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Date is a function in vba so I would highly recommend not using it as a variable name. Let's assume you use rDate instead.

In your function
Rich (BB code):
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGEIF(" & rDate.Address & ",R9C,RC" & cp & ":RC" & cd & ")"

The other thing that could go wrong, and I have no way to check with that limited code and no data, is that rDate and the last range in the function defined by RC" & cp & ":RC" & cd must be the same size.

Upvote 0
Date is a function in vba so I would highly recommend not using it as a variable name. Let's assume you use rDate instead.

In your function
Rich (BB code):
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGEIF(" & rDate.Address & ",R9C,RC" & cp & ":RC" & cd & ")"

The other thing that could go wrong, and I have no way to check with that limited code and no data, is that rDate and the last range in the function defined by RC" & cp & ":RC" & cd must be the same size.

Below is a snippet of my code which i have used. (Getting Application Defined Error)

Code:
Sub Test()

Dim T1 As Range
Dim T1End As Range
Dim rdate As Range

Set T1 = Range("E8").End(xlToRight).Offset(0, 2)
Set T1End = T1.End(xlToRight)
Set rdate = Range(T1, T1.End(xlToRight))

With T1
    cp = .Column
    End With

With T1End
    cd = .Column
    End With

Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGEIF(" & rdate.address & ",R9C,RC" & cp & ":RC" & cd & ")"

End Sub
I will be knowing only cell E8. Rest all are dynamic in nature so i have used end functions to determine cell address.

Upvote 0
Below is a snippet of my code which i have used. (Getting Application Defined Error)
You haven't said what line is giving the error but it could easily be the formula line due to my oversight. It should be
Rich (BB code):
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGEIF(" & rdate.Address(ReferenceStyle:=xlR1C1) & ",R9C,RC" & cp & ":RC" & cd & ")"

If that is not it, the following line would give that error if there is no data on row 8 to the right of E8 on the active sheet.
Rich (BB code):

In any case, you should carefully check the resulting formula once the error(s) are eliminated as it looks like there could be some problems with it. However, once again I am guessing as I am not looking at your data.

Upvote 0
You haven't said what line is giving the error but it could easily be the formula line due to my oversight. It should be
Rich (BB code):
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGEIF(" & rdate.Address(ReferenceStyle:=xlR1C1) & ",R9C,RC" & cp & ":RC" & cd & ")"

If that is not it, the following line would give that error if there is no data on row 8 to the right of E8 on the active sheet.
Rich (BB code):

In any case, you should carefully check the resulting formula once the error(s) are eliminated as it looks like there could be some problems with it. However, once again I am guessing as I am not looking at your data.

(ReferenceStyle:=xlR1C1) Did the trick :biggrin: Thanks so much!

(Btw the formula line of code was giving error, now its sorted out ;))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back