Conditional Formatting to compare cells in two different tabs where one tab the information changes location

Mldeuser

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello

I have a workbook with information on two tabs, that I would like to create a conditional format rule to highlight the cell in the first tab if the value is different in the other tab.

The first tab is "Accrual" the cell that would have the rule in it is in column Q (there are several cells that would have this rule)

The second tab is "Utility" the cells that would be compared to the first tab are in column T. Each month we overwrite the information on this tab, so the cell the first tab is comparing to on the second tab could change.

Both tabs column A has a unique identifier to help locate information for other columns, I am just not sure how or if this can be used in a conditional format rule.

Thank you
Mark

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Some older versions of Excel won't allow Conditional Formatting that references a cell on another tab.
The workaround is to define the other tab range as a Name.

So you want to match on the value in A and compare Accrual! column Q against Utility! column T

Try this

Select the range to format (Accrual! column Q)

Conditional Formatting
New Rule
Use a formula to determine...

=(INDEX(Accrual!Q$1:Q$1000,MATCH(A1,Utility!A$1:A$1000,0),1)<>INDEX(Utility!T$1:T$1000,MATCH(A1,Utility!A$1:A$1000,0),1))

Format as required

I think this should work, just wondering what happens if the MATCH fails, it the value in Accrual!A1 does not appear in Utility!A1:A1000

Upvote 0
Hello

Thank you for the response. I am getting an error message "You may not reference operators (such as unions, intersections, and ranges) or array constants for Conditional Formatting criteria".

Upvote 0
I dont get that error when I enter it on a blank spreadsheet with two tabs named Accrual and Utility.
Just entered some test data, it worked fine.

What version of Excel are you using?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back