Adding prices to a list

Jetx227

Board Regular
Hey guys, I'm not great at excel so maybe one of you can offer me a hand. So I have a list of items on a sheet in column A (about 20,000 of them). In column B I want to input the unit prices for each item, but I don't want to scroll down and find the item to input it. There's 2 possible solutions that I could think of (and don't know how to do) but if you have another that you think could work, I'll gladly take any advice you can offer. My first idea was just finding a way to search the list and bring that row to the top with the item that you search so you can input the price. The other idea I had is a little more complicated (but would be preferable if it can be done). So not every item on the list is needed, just the ones that are used for the current job that I'm doing. The items that I would be using for the job would be inputted into a separate sheet (column A of that sheet). Is there a way to hide the rows of the items I'm not using and only have the rows with the items for the job I'm working on shown?

Thanks for the help guys!

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Taking your second idea a bit further, use VLOOKUP in your main table to check if the item matches any item in the list used in the current job.

In Sheet1 column C type the following formula and copy it to the end of your list. If your list of current items is on Sheet2, then:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A:A,1,FALSE),"")

VLOOKUP will produce an error if it can't find the item so we use IFERROR to produce a blank if it can't be found, or the name of the item if it can be found.

Then filter your main table so that only non-blanks appear in column C (I've assumed your main table has a header row).

Upvote 0
Taking your second idea a bit further, use VLOOKUP in your main table to check if the item matches any item in the list used in the current job.

In Sheet1 column C type the following formula and copy it to the end of your list. If your list of current items is on Sheet2, then:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A:A,1,FALSE),"")

VLOOKUP will produce an error if it can't find the item so we use IFERROR to produce a blank if it can't be found, or the name of the item if it can be found.

Then filter your main table so that only non-blanks appear in column C (I've assumed your main table has a header row).

I think this would have worked great but unfortunately it crashed my excel lol. Is it possible there is too many cells it's trying to sort through and that caused it to crash?

Upvote 0
Shouldn't be the cause - I just tried VLOOKUP with a table of 22,000 records and it took a few seconds to recalculate but it didn't crash.

Upvote 0
I think this would have worked great but unfortunately it crashed my excel lol. Is it possible there is too many cells it's trying to sort through and that caused it to crash?

Update: Excel finally loaded, but one thing I noticed is that this doesn't automatically update every time that I add a new item (we add new items in as they come up in the job constantly). I don't know if you or anyone had a coding idea for this but we have a macro that runs when we put new items in to sheet 2 that makes a new sheet and names it after that specific item. I could just throw some lines in there but I dont know what to put in if anyone has ideas. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back