Daily Task Workbook - Running Totals

marteb

Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to keep running totals of my daily tasks to replace my current paper records. I am testing a workbook I setup, but the process seems cumbersome (I started in IT as a data entry clerk and dislike using my mouse). Here is a small sample of my data as it currently exists.

Type Add Change Delete Adds Chgs Deletes
Web Access lllll llll lll 5 4 3
ERP Access llll ll lllll 4 2 5
Group Member llll ll 4 0 2
Email Group l 1 0 0
Password Call llll 4 0 0
Password Reset llll 4 0 0

Current process; Select the appropriate cell in the workbook, click at end of formula bar, enter appropriate number of lowercase l, repeat with next item.

Is there anyway in Excel to setup an input form or something that would add the current day's totals to field or cell with the previous data? If not, is this something that could be done in Access?

Thanks in advance, Marteb

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Cleaned up data, sorry

Excel 2012
ABCDEFG
1TypeAddChangeRemoveAddsChgsDeletes
2Web Access111111111111543
3ERP Access11111111111425
4Group Member111111402
5Email Group1100
6Password Call1111400
7Password Reset1111400
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Hi, at the time I'm responding, over 12 people have looked at your question but it makes little sense. Maybe if you could explain it a bit more. I especially don't understand the lines |||| thanks

Upvote 0
Ah ok you re-posted. If you're going to use a 1 as a tick, you could put this formula in your total columns:
Code:
=LEN(G16)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(G16,"1",""))
Change G16 to the cells where you are inputting the 1 ticks

Upvote 0
Hi Roderick_E,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am using =LEN to get the totals and it is working.

Let me explain this better: I click in cell B2 to add my 'ticks' for today, B2 already contains 5 ticks from previous entries. If i simply click in B2 and add two ticks for today, I wipe out the previous 5 and my total is 2. I have to click in the formula bar and add 2 ticks at the end to avoid losing the existing data. I capture and report on this information on a yearly basis.

Question:
Is there anyway in Excel to set this up so I can add the current day's 'ticks' without wiping out the existing data? If not, is this something that could be done in Access?

Thanks, Marteb

Upvote 0
Ahhh this doesn't require a fancy vba...just press F2 and the cursor will be at the end of current text.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back