Using Excel to map locations and distances between instances

kdamax

Hi,

I have a population of businesses whose post code I know. What I want is an Excel calculation that will show me the number of other businesses within say 40 square miles of their Post Code? I can get the post codes and convert them to longitude and lattitude coordinates but I dont know how to set a formaula to calculate 1) what is a 40 mile radius of that location 2) how many other business fit within that 40 mile radius?

Be great if someone could help me. This is my first post, so apologies if I havent been clear, happy to be guided.

Kind regards

Max

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
I know this isn't ideal, but I work in transportation and there are companies that sell addins for this sort of thing. I work in transportation, and I use one called pcmiler, and I beleive they have versions for other regions of the world. it has several different types of distances (as the crow flies, shortest distance, without tolls, "practical miles", etc.) comes in pretty handy. it works as a UDF, you start typing a formula =miles( [zip code 1, zip code 2, type of miles) and returns the result. If all you have is a zip code it can give you the name of the location, though I have never used this function. (i.e. zip code 77002 is Houston, Harris County, Texas). This is typically used for trucking route planning, though it has come in handy for other uses as well. Its pricey, but if you regularly do this sort of work it may be worth looking into.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back