Pie within Pie Chart

MaddieMoo

I am trying to do a pie within pie chart. I have 5 data values. I really want the first 3 to show on the main pie chart and then break one of those 3 values out into the additional two data points in my list.

How do I tell excel not to include these last 2 data points in the primary chart at all? How do I tell it which piece of the primary chart (No Migraine) I want broken out?

Here are my data points:

CategoryNumberPercentage
Migraine4223%
Unknown53%
No Migraine13274%
In Support9975%
Not in support3426%

<colgroup><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

So, to be more specific, I want the pie within pie to show the break down of the 132 "No Migraine" people into either In Support (99) or Not In support (34)

When I select split series by position, it still includes those last 2 items in the first chart as well.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hi,

I pasted the data as in your post, went to insert, click on pie chart and selected pie of pie. I got exactly what you asked for. The reason is that it automatically take the two last lines and consider them being split of the one above.

If the serie is not right in your case, right click the second pie and click "format data series". Split serie should be by "position", values on second plot should be "2".

Note that from there, you can click on any part of the pie and change it from first pie to second pie.

I have a 2016 version on this computer, might change a little bit from 365 but I don't think so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply, Kamolga.

How did you get the main pie chart to exclude the last 2 data points that are in the second pie? That is the piece I am struggling with.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply, Kamolga.

How did you get the main pie chart to exclude the last 2 data points that are in the second pie? That is the piece I am struggling with.

I select the data, click on insert tab, in chart category, I have a pie drown with an arrow, when I ckick it, I have to select from different types of pie (visual), so I select the pie of pie. My default (or last used?) is two data points. When you right click the second chart and select format series, you can change the number of data points that you want if it is not 2.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back