Altering a Formula based on Month

nniedzielski

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two workbooks that are communicating with each other,
One workbook is used by a clerk and has data entered intoit, the other work book is displayed on a monitor outside of the office.
I am trying to get the two workbooks to talk to each otherso the clerk doesn’t have to pull the display sheet in each time there is data.
I created a formula to get the two sheets to talk, but thisneeds to happen for each day of the month, as each workbook has a tab for days1-31.

This is the formula being used:

Code:
='[1st Shift Creation Macro.xlsm]DEC1'!$E4

What I need is to be able to create a template for the sheetwhere the “DEC” in the formula will change from month to month,
How can I get the formula to change from JAN to FEB and soforth as the months change?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Try

=INDIRECT("'[1st Shift Creation Macro.xlsm]"&UPPER(TEXT(TODAY(),"mmm"))&"'!$E4")

Upvote 0
That did not connect, keep in mind its got to find the Sheet called AUG15 first, I don't think that it found it this way.

Upvote 0
Didnt see the day number in your description
try

=INDIRECT("'[1st Shift Creation Macro.xlsm]"&UPPER(TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmd"))&"'!$E4")

Upvote 0
I am just getting a #REF ! warning in the cell, it doesn't seem to connecting to the other worksheet

Upvote 0
Think it should be this

=INDIRECT("'[1st Shift Creation Macro.xlsm]"&UPPER(TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmd"))&"'!$E4")

If it doesn't work just take the INDIRECT() off the formula then you can see what value it's creating

The above formula is producing this

'[1st Shift Creation Macro.xlsm]AUG16'!$E4

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"...but will not copy down"

What does that mean?

You're getting an eror?
You're just getting blank cells?
You're getting the wrong values?
Something else?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sorry for not elaborating, when i copy down, the formula stays the same in each row, $E4 is in row 5, 6, 7, 8 and so on,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No that cant happen.

$E4 the E is anchored by the dollar, that means if you copy it to other columns the E will be in each cell, in fact it will always say $E4 since the row doesn't change
If you copy E4 to other columns then it will change to F G H since the $ is not anchored.

Similarly, the 4 is not anchored so if you copy the formula down the column it will change to row 5 6 7 etc

You must have copied it wrong.

Copy the cell
and paste down the column, the row should change.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back