Pay Period formula

stampedingsteve

Hey,

I'm trying to create a formula that will accurately calculate the number of times someone has been paid this year. For instance, if someone got paid weekly, I want to count the number of fridays we have had this year thus far up until today's date. Or if they were paid Bi-weekly friday, I want to count every other friday we have had this year so far.

Any ideas how to do this?

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
I guess it really depends on a few things, such as:
- What are all your different pay-cycles?
- For bi-weekly pay cycles, are we to assume that they the first pay date would be in the second week of the new year, or can it be in the first (if the latter, what is the logic for determining that).

For instance, if someone got paid weekly, I want to count the number of fridays we have had this year thus far up until today's date
See this for that example: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/968016-how-calculate-number-fridays-so-far-year.html

Upvote 0
Here is my take on the YTD number of Fridays:

weekly schedule: =WEEKNUM(TODAY(),16)-(WEEKDAY(TODAY(),11)<>5)
biweekly schedule, first paid on first Friday: =CEILING(WEEKNUM(TODAY(),16)-ISODD(WEEKNUM(TODAY(),16))*(WEEKDAY(TODAY(),11)<>5),2)/2
biweekly schedule, first paid on second Friday: =FLOOR(WEEKNUM(TODAY(),16)-ISEVEN(WEEKNUM(TODAY(),16))*(WEEKDAY(TODAY(),11)<>5),2)/2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back