Auto fill in Table not working

Carlos5

Board Regular
Hello all,
I am perplexed. I have a table with several columns with formulas in them (Simple formulas, like =b2-a2, or sums, etc.). Up until about two weeks ago all I had to do was tab to the next line at the bottom of the table and a new row would appear with the formulas copied from the above row. I have search for answers but haven't found any that match this problem. Do you have any ideas?
Thank you.

As an aside, I noticed this problem on an older spreadsheet but it was formatting instead of formulas. But I am much more concerned about the formula problem.
Thanks again,
Carlos

EDIT: I forgot to say that this is in excel 2016. I did find this thread but none of those solutions seem to work. ( https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/400387-why-does-formula-not-auto-fill-next-row.html )

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
My guess is that you have "damaged" the table. Excel tables can be sensitive. I inadvertently pasted a value over a formula half way down a table and Excel seemed incapable of getting over the shock until I rebuilt it one row at a time.
Here is a quick way to achieve that (tested Excel 2016):

- copy the header & first row of original table (Table1) and paste to a new sheet
- make sure all the formulas are sound!
- click on Insert \ Table to create your new table (Table2)
- copy all other values in Table1 column1 and paste them below the values in Table2 column1
- all the formulas should magically appear
- copy & paste all the other non-formula columns

if your table is huge and my suggestion impractical let me know - some simple VBA could do the same job

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back