Help with MID+FIND formula

Bering

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I would need some help with a formula I am trying to build.

Please refer to the file in the link as I think it would be much easier to understand what I am trying to achieve.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tt1r2ut325qkzdq/Test.xlsx?dl=0

The formula in cell C1 should evaluate a string in cell A2 and return "Gross" or "Net" depending on the conditions set in the table in range F1 - J4.

However, if the combination of 1 or 2 digits appears at the beginning of the string, the formula should return N/A.

I managed to accomplish the first part (Gross, Net) but I am really struggling with the N/A part.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!!

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
It's difficult to see what the data is in order to obtain C1. What follows is your dropbox file as is:

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJ
1AS2GrossMQSDNET
2M1Q1S1D1GROSS
3M2Q2S2D2GROSS
4M3Q3S3D3GROSS
7Expected results
8L1MHL1QHL1SHL1DHNet
9L1M1L1Q1L1S1L1D1Gross
10AM2AQ2AS2AD2Gross
11AM3AQ3AS3AD3Gross
12M1HQ3OS1HD2Not applicable
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Hello,

thanks for looking into my query. I thought the file could also be downloaded as an excel file from dropbox.

I paste below the formula in C1, hope it helps:

IF(OR(IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND(G2,A1),2)=G2,0),IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND(G3,A1),2)=G3,0),IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND(G4,A1),2)=G4,0),IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND(F2,A1),2)=F2,0),IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND(F3,A1),2)=F3,0),IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND(F4,A1),2)=F4,0),IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND(H2,A1),2)=H2,0),IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND(H3,A1),2)=H3,0),IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND(H4,A1),2)=H4,0),IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND(I2,A1),2)=I2,0),IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND(I3,A1),2)=I3,0),IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND(I4,A1),2)=I4,0)),"Gross","Net")

It's difficult to see what the data is in order to obtain C1. What follows is your dropbox file as is:

ABCDEFGHIJ
1AS2GrossMQSDNET
2M1Q1S1D1GROSS
3M2Q2S2D2GROSS
4M3Q3S3D3GROSS
7Expected results
8L1MHL1QHL1SHL1DHNet
9L1M1L1Q1L1S1L1D1Gross
10AM2AQ2AS2AD2Gross
11AM3AQ3AS3AD3Gross
12M1HQ3OS1HD2Not applicable

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Apologies for the double post but I do not know how to edit the previous one....

Here is some more guidance:

The possible strings to be evaluated by the formula are listed in range A8 - D12. The expected result for each of them is in range E8 - E12.

The conditions to be met are in range F1 - J4: for example, if the string contains M,Q,S or D (but not in the first position) than formula should return NET; if the string contains M1, Q2 or D3 the result should be GROSS.
However, if any of those combinations appear at the beginning of the string (as shown in row 12) then the formula should return "Not Applicable".

I hope this helps. Thanks!!!

Upvote 0
You should not post a (non-working) formula. Try instead to explain the parts of Sheet1 I posted from your file. For one thing, how do you obtain the value in C1 for the value you have in A1. What is asked for a manual procedure that leads to C1, not a (non-working) formula.

Upvote 0
Sorry for that. I thought it would have been helpful to start from my attempt rather than from scratch. The formula works partially, there is one extra bit I would like to accomplish for which I need your help.

However, please note that I had already added some more details in the post above sent @ 11:38AM, which I think explain how the Sheet works.

Is that not helpful? If so, please let me know and I will try my best to clarify my query.

Many thanks.

You should not post a (non-working) formula. Try instead to explain the parts of Sheet1 I posted from your file. For one thing, how do you obtain the value in C1 for the value you have in A1. What is asked for a manual procedure that leads to C1, not a (non-working) formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksjohnson1970

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back