Excel 2010 vs 2000 - Too Many Formats

billfinn

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I've spent the last three months working on this project and am getting down to the short strokes. I asked my boss to take a look at what I have today and he got an error message that there are too many formats. I found out that while I have been creating this with Excel 2010 most others in the company are using Excel 2000?!?!? I've been deleting formats in the parts of the project that I inherited but I how do I find out if I still have too many formats for Excel 2000? There is also the issue that my macros may or may not work in his version.
I want to go home early and touch up my resume...
Any suggestions or thoughts are very much appreciated.
thanks,
Bill

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Upvote 0
Another piece of advice that won't help you now, but maybe in the future - if possible, find out the lowest/oldest version of Excel that your users will be using, and do you develop on that version of Excel (i.e. Excel 2000 in this instance). Most of the time, things created on lower levels will work on the higher levels, but not necessarily vice versa (they tend to add new functionality a lot more than they take it away).

Upvote 0
Macropod,
Thanks much! I had actually run across that XLStylesTool in a search early this morning and used it. Great tool and easy to use. Big improvement in number of styles.

Joe 4,
Thanks much! Yeah, I unfortunately assumed that since all my previous employers had everyone on the same version of Excel that this one would as well. Now I have to pay my stupid tax and reformat a bunch of stuff.

Does either of you know of a list of Styles and perhaps examples? I ran a macro to identify the remaining styles in my workbook after running the XLStylesTool and came up with 117 remaining. Cell Fill Colors are obvious but I don't necessarily know what they all mean, things like Comma 2 2, Percent 4 2. I can assume that Percent 4 2 means that the percentage will display as 4 digits to the left of the decimal and 2 to the right but I already had enough assuming on this deal lol.

Thanks much to both of you for your help
Bill

Upvote 0
Incompatible formats between Excel 2000 and 2010.

I'm sure I'm not the first or the last but I had to redo the project today as an Excel 2000 sheet because that is the version they support. I already gave myself the lecture about doing projects in the oldest version I need to support. I ran into the dreaded incompatible formats gotcha. I I have been through my 40 sheet, 40,000 formula sheet way too many times. I got it down from 283 cells with incompatible formats to just 2. Do you think I can find those 2? Nope. Wondering if anyone has a sneaky way to find the incompatible formats. I pulled the 2010 version up on my PC and the version I saved in 97-2003 version on a laptop right beside it. I can't spot anything that is different in background colors, cell formats or anything else. I selected whole sheets and set them with standard formats. I'd like to ignore them but someone will open the sheet with a newer version and try to save it, then scream at me about the message.
Any thoughts or suggestions very gratefully considered.
thanks,
Bill

Upvote 0
Re: Incompatible formats between Excel 2000 and 2010.

You might try saving the workbook as an Excel 5.0/95 workbook. If it then opens on the Excel 2000 platform without causing errors, you could then save it back to the 97-2003 format.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back