Planning Board that deducts holidays when added

Rookie1986

Hi All,

I hoping for some advice on how to make a team planning board which reduces the employees holiday entitlement when a holiday is added to the board.

Please see below picture to get an idea of what I am looking to create :) - the sheet only needs to capture holidays as a reducing value (they can only be take as full or 1/2 days).

If anyone can offer some assistance it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Rookie,
So if I understand correctly, you want to reduce the values in the range C4:C11 by the
'Used' figures in the range D4:D11.

My first thought is you might want to allow for additional employees to be added.
With that in mind, maybe put the 'Holiday Usage 2019' table to the left of the 'January 2018' you now have in the merged cells in A14:B15. That would entail inserting 3 columns.
February and suceeding months would start below 'January' in column D.

From your table currently shown in the range G2:Q7, you want to count the colored holidays for each employee. There appear to be 3 'types' of holidays...'Holidays', 'Public Holidays', and 'Holidays Carried'.

I assume you will manually enter the initial values for the 'Remaining' values, and when the various holidays have been filled in that month, you want to run a macro to capture the 'Used' value for each employee and then adjust the 'Remaining' column accordingly.

You can get the color index value for each of the 3 holiday fill colors you intend to use by selecting the cell whose color is currently in column K and running this macro...
Code:
Sub GetColorIndex()
     i = Activecell.Interior.ColorIndex
     Msgbox "The colorindex is " & i
End Sub
From the image you posted, the index colors appear to be Red = 3, Blue = 8 or 28 or 33, and Purple = 21 or 47. You will need to select a cell of each fill color and run the above macro to confirm the colors you used. Then using the color index for each of the 3 colors, a macro can designed to go down the row for each employee and count the number of days each color is used and then sum the total 'Used' days.

This will only count full days, not half days. Had you given any thought how you might show half days?
One idea would be to put 'H' in the colored cells where a half day holiday is located.
then reduce the 'Used' days by half the count of the number of H's for that employee.

The row number for each employee for each month will need to be determined. This should be dynamic
to allow for adding or deleting an employee in a given month. I assume your table will include all twelve months...Yes? So it is important to know in which column(s) the employee name will reside.
Your example shows only the first name in the 'Holiday Usage 2019' table...what if you have two or more
employees with the same first name? You may want to include the last name in your 'Holiday Usage 2019' table.

Those are just some of the things you might consider.
Perpa

Upvote 0
Rookie,
So if I understand correctly, you want to reduce the values in the range C4:C11 by the
'Used' figures in the range D4:D11.

My first thought is you might want to allow for additional employees to be added.
With that in mind, maybe put the 'Holiday Usage 2019' table to the left of the 'January 2018' you now have in the merged cells in A14:B15. That would entail inserting 3 columns.
February and suceeding months would start below 'January' in column D.

From your table currently shown in the range G2:Q7, you want to count the colored holidays for each employee. There appear to be 3 'types' of holidays...'Holidays', 'Public Holidays', and 'Holidays Carried'.

I assume you will manually enter the initial values for the 'Remaining' values, and when the various holidays have been filled in that month, you want to run a macro to capture the 'Used' value for each employee and then adjust the 'Remaining' column accordingly.

You can get the color index value for each of the 3 holiday fill colors you intend to use by selecting the cell whose color is currently in column K and running this macro...
Code:
Sub GetColorIndex()
     i = Activecell.Interior.ColorIndex
     Msgbox "The colorindex is " & i
End Sub
From the image you posted, the index colors appear to be Red = 3, Blue = 8 or 28 or 33, and Purple = 21 or 47. You will need to select a cell of each fill color and run the above macro to confirm the colors you used. Then using the color index for each of the 3 colors, a macro can designed to go down the row for each employee and count the number of days each color is used and then sum the total 'Used' days.

This will only count full days, not half days. Had you given any thought how you might show half days?
One idea would be to put 'H' in the colored cells where a half day holiday is located.
then reduce the 'Used' days by half the count of the number of H's for that employee.

The row number for each employee for each month will need to be determined. This should be dynamic
to allow for adding or deleting an employee in a given month. I assume your table will include all twelve months...Yes? So it is important to know in which column(s) the employee name will reside.
Your example shows only the first name in the 'Holiday Usage 2019' table...what if you have two or more
employees with the same first name? You may want to include the last name in your 'Holiday Usage 2019' table.

Those are just some of the things you might consider.
Perpa

Hi Perpa,

Thank you for the reply :)

This looks like it would cover what I'm trying to achieve so I'll give it a try and see how I get on.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back