Find price of an item based on the most recent date

brownt21390

I'm working on constantly changing retail price for a list of items, and I want to pull the most recent price based on date.

For a simple example, if column A is Item # (A1), column B is Price (B1), & column C is Date (C1), let's say one unique item is Apple, and there are 3 entries for Apple (A2,A3,A4), the first for $1.00 (B2) dated 1/1/18 (C2), the second for $2.00 (B3) at 2/1/18 (C3), and the third for $3.00 (B4) at 3/1/18 (C4).

Let's say my results' table is F1:G2, where F1 is Item #, G1 is Price, F2 the item I'm looking for a result (Apple), and G2 is my result formula:

Right now, I've come up with {=MAX(IF(F2=$A$2:$A$4,$C$2:$C$4))} (which gives a result of 43160 or 3/1/18 in date form) to give me a match to the max possible date which Apple's price has changed, but now I want my result to show price relative to that date ($3.00).

How do I now make reference to this?
Thanks for any and all help!

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
In G2 control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=INDEX($B$2:$B$4,MATCH(MAX(IF($A$2:$A$4=F2,$C$2:$C$4)),$C$2:$C$4,0))

Upvote 0
Actually, I'm still trying to figure out exactly why this happens, but it's giving me the same result for ever item number.

I have multiple (thousands) of items that are going to have the same max date - is that why I'm getting the same value for all my results?

Upvote 0
Actually, I'm still trying to figure out exactly why this happens, but it's giving me the same result for ever item number.

I have multiple (thousands) of items that are going to have the same max date - is that why I'm getting the same value for all my results?

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJ
1itempricedateITEMMOST RECENT DATE
2apple$1.001/1/2018apple3/1/2018PRICE:$3.00$4.00
3apple$2.002/1/2018
4apple$3.003/1/2018
5pear$6.003/1/2018
6apple$4.003/1/2018
Sheet1

If we run

=INDEX($B$2:$B$4,MATCH(MAX(IF($A$2:$A$4=$F2,$C$2:$C$4)),$C$2:$C$4,0))

on this data, confirmed with control+shift+enter, we will get the first price that occurs on the most recent date associated with apple. The result is obviously $3.00.

As I noted, there can be more price records on the most recent date associated with the item we are interested in. The above sample contains indeed two price records on the most recent date associated with apple. In the above sample these prices are in order of occurrence $3.00 and $4.00. The following formula set up captures this fact.

In I2 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy across:

=IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$10,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$10=$F2,IF($C$2:$C$10=MAX(IF($A$2:$A$10=$F2,$C$2:$C$10)),ROW($B$2:$B$10)-ROW($B$2)+1)),COLUMNS($I$2:I2))),"")

As claimed, this formula lists the observed results.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back