How to save a workbook without redoing all calculations

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a worksheet with a table containing 60,000 rows and 12-13 columns. Several of the columns have paired columns that calculate the rankings of each value in that column against the entire column. Because it takes several minutes on my creaky old XP laptop to calculate those rankings, I have the workbook set to Manual, not Automatic, calculations. But whenever I save the workbook, it appears to redo all of the calculations, which takes 10-15 minutes or longer.

Is there some way that I can save the workbook without doing any calculations?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Possibly try...

Code:
Sub SaveNoCalculate()
    Application.CalculateBeforeSave = False
    ThisWorkbook.Save
    Application.CalculateBeforeSave = True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ron, will not changing it in Options change it for all workbooks and so it will need resetting for other workbooks? I haven't tested it, just asking :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Yes, it will....
But,
...Change the setting
...Save the workbook
...Change the setting back, if desired.

OK, I just think if you are doing it that way (and it is a regular task not a one off) it is easier to assign a macro to a button or the QAT... but that would only be my personal preference, thanks for responding :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Ron, will not changing it in Options change it for all workbooks and so it will need resetting for other workbooks? I haven't tested it, just asking :biggrin:

Ron's solution solved my immediate problem. I'll look into your macro when I get a few minutes free time. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OK, I just think if you are doing it that way (and it is a regular task not a one off) it is easier to assign a macro to a button or the QAT... but that would only be my personal preference, thanks for responding :biggrin:

I agree. A macro is the way to go, but I just needed a quick solution so I could get the ****ed workbook saved.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back