Selecting sums based on date range

Gunnerrecall1776

i have a financial tracking sheet i developed that works fairly well for me. but have run into a wall on it when someone asked me to make a change.

so here's what i have:
on a quarterly basis, spending amounts and their categories from each week are entered on separate sheets, and there is a totals sheet at the beginning of the workbook that details how much in each category was spent in each week. there is an overview sheet that shows the totals of all categories that have been entered in the workbook, meant as a cleaner way to review the spending amounts.

however, someone has asked me if i could enable a selection range based on entries from varying weeks to show the totals between the dates selected in FROM and TO drop down lists.

i have tried figuring out how to do this on my own but im at a loss of what function i could use or how to manipulate data validation to accomplish it. i would like to have an overview sheet where you will be able to select FROM and TO dates, and have the table reference the totals that are in the columns of my totals sheet. the totals sheet is set up to have categories on the right, a date on the top of each column, and the sums of amounts spent in those within each weekly period.

lord let there be someone out there who can help. if you need further explanation or examples i am more than happy to accommodate. thank you anyone in advance.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Yes, it can be done. In fact that's what I do on my job.
If you can post here a small sample of your totals sheet, that will be helpful in working out the correct formula to suit your needs.

Upvote 0
thank you for your input. i appreciate any help i can get.

heres a sample of the totals sheet
8RWhg5R.png

heres the current overview sheet of the sample that im going to modify once im able to select a date range
fMJB425.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back