VBA code to expand selection based on value in next cell and then merge-and-center

amarkham

Hi,

I have a bunch of cells with either a value, eg "x" or nothing, eg "". I am having a lot of difficulty getting started on an algorithm that iterates through each row (starting A1, going to H1, then jumping to A2 and repeating the same thing), merging-and-center'ing based on the values in each cell.

Here's how it would work. Start in cell A1. There is an "x" in the cell. Cell B1 is blank (" "), add it to the selection so now it is A1:B1. Cell C1 is also blank - add it to the selection. Cell D1 has an "x" in it, now take A1:C1 (excluding D1), merge-and-center, apply outside borders, and do the same thing with D1. If it gets to H1 (the end column) without seeing another "x" (because the remaining cells are all empty) it merges-and-centers D1:H1 then proceeds to A2 and does the same thing.

Any ideas would be awesome. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
How about
Code:
Sub CentreSelection()
   Dim i As Long
   Dim Rng As Range
   With Range("A4:M84")
      .Value = .Value
   End With
   For i = 1 To lr
      On Error Resume Next
      For Each Rng In Range("B" & i).Resize(, 12).SpecialCells(xlBlanks).Areas
         Rng.Offset(, -1).Resize(, Rng.count + 1).HorizontalAlignment = xlCenterAcrossSelection
      Next Rng
      On Error GoTo 0
   Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
That one doesn't seem to work when i copy and paste, changing the range values in Range("...") to the area I'm looking at. Is the resize based on the number of columns?

Upvote 0
Forgot to change the loop, try
Code:
Sub CentreSelection()
   Dim i As Long
   Dim Rng As Range
   With Range("A4:M84")
      .Value = .Value
   End With
   [COLOR=#ff0000]For i = 4 To 84[/COLOR]
      On Error Resume Next
      For Each Rng In Range("B" & i).Resize(, 12).SpecialCells(xlBlanks).Areas
         Rng.Offset(, -1).Resize(, Rng.count + 1).HorizontalAlignment = xlCenterAcrossSelection
      Next Rng
      On Error GoTo 0
   Next i
End Sub
Yes the resize is based on the columns, Cols B:M is 12 columns hence resize (,12)

Upvote 0
I gave this a try but it seems to only be deleting all blank cells (cells with a formula returning "") and not centering anything properly.

Upvote 0
Can you post some sample data?
There are tolls available to help if you follow the link in my signature

Upvote 0
Okay I was able to fix it for my formatting/data so your code worked. Two follow-up questions:
- I need to use this macro in many other Excel files. Is there any easy way of changing it so that all I have to do is add the range in the Name Manager (A4:M84 in the above example) and have everything else propagate through? "For i = 4 to 84" becomes a formula based on the first and last column number in the Name Manager range, the ".Resize(, 12)" similarly, etc.
- what is the simplest way of adding to the beginning of the macro, copy range C172:M177 and paste-formula to A4:M84, similarly using a range name in Name Manager?

Thank you again!!

Upvote 0
This will use a named range
Code:
Sub CentreSelection()
   Dim i As Long
   Dim Rng As Range, Nme As Range
   Set Nme = Range("[COLOR=#ff0000]Test[/COLOR]")
   With Nme
      .Value = .Value
   End With
   For i = 1 To Nme.Rows.count
      On Error Resume Next
      For Each Rng In Nme(i, 1).Offset(, 1).Resize(, Nme.Columns.count - 1).SpecialCells(xlBlanks).Areas
      Next Rng
      On Error GoTo 0
   Next i
End Sub
Change named range in red to suit

Upvote 0
That's great thanks. And the 2nd part of my question - if I've got a range of formulas (called "FormulaRange") that I want to copy-paste into the "Test" range from your code before I run the centreselection code, what I've done below doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Sub CentreSelection()
Dim i As Long
Dim Rng As Range, Nme As Range
Set Nme = Range("Test")

.Range("Test").Formula = .Range("FormulaRange").Formula

With Nme
.Value = .Value
End With
For i = 1 To Nme.Rows.Count
On Error Resume Next
For Each Rng In Nme(i, 1).Offset(, 1).Resize(, Nme.Columns.Count - 1).SpecialCells(xlBlanks).Areas
Rng.Offset(, -1).Resize(, Rng.Count + 1).HorizontalAlignment = xlCenterAcrossSelection
Next Rng
On Error GoTo 0
Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
try
Code:
Range("Test").Formula = Range("FormulaRange").Formula

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back