Match(Max where a cell =

dbarbella

Hi All,
I'm close to having a formula working

=INDEX('Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$2:$O$2,(MATCH(MAX('Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$O$3),'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$O$3,0)))

This returns a Value in Row 2
based on the position number of the highest value in row 3
that is working fine.

What I need to do, and can't figure out, is to:
Return the value in Row 2
based on the highest value
in the row where
'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$2:$O$999 = $C3

I feel I have to take the above formula and nest it inside another Index, or Index(Match statement.
but I find myself pretty lost at this point.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated
Thanks
-Dave

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Yes, In column C I have many rows of ID numbers that I need to match up with the match row in column B of the Pivot Table - Monthly tab.

I am basically checking each row 3 through 100 (Just for an example, here’s more), for the largest value across columns B through O (well technically row C, Since B holds the ID, Inhad that wrong in my formula). When it finds the largest amount I need to capture the array position and grab the text in row 2 (same column found in the max value).

I figured that was confusing to explain :)

My formula works, but you can see I’m manually looking through row 3 in the Match(.

I need to actually index my ID column in the pivot tab, and find the correct matching row by grabbing the Id in column C (then I copy and paste the formula down so it grabs each Id in $C# repectively

Hope that made sense.
It may be easy to say
I need to get rid of the hard-coded Match(max and use column C to lookup the right row on the pivot tab (and the rest works fine)

Upvote 0
Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=INDEX('Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$2:$O$2,MATCH(MAX(INDEX(Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$3:$O$999,0,MATCH($C3,'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$B$999,0))),INDEX(Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$3:$O$999,0,MATCH($C3,'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$B$999,0)),0))

Does this help?

Upvote 0
Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=INDEX('Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$2:$O$2,MATCH(MAX(INDEX(Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$3:$O$999,0,MATCH($C3,'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$B$999,0))),INDEX(Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$3:$O$999,0,MATCH($C3,'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$B$999,0)),0))

Does this help?

Thank you so much,
The formula returned a Parse Error. Although I see Google Sheets changed it slightly with adding ArrayFormula to the front after the CTRL/SHIFT/ENTER

=ArrayFormula(INDEX('Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$2:$O$2,MATCH(MAX(INDEX(Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$3:$O$999,0,MATCH($C3,'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$B$999,0))),INDEX(Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$3:$O$999,0,MATCH($C3,'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$B$999,0)),0))))

Upvote 0
Thank you so much,
The formula returned a Parse Error. Although I see Google Sheets changed it slightly with adding ArrayFormula to the front after the CTRL/SHIFT/ENTER

=ArrayFormula(INDEX('Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$2:$O$2,MATCH(MAX(INDEX(PivotTable-Monthly'!$C$3:$O$999,0,MATCH($C3,'PivotTable-Monthly'!$B$3:$B$999,0))),INDEX(Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$3:$O$999,0,MATCH($C3,'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$B$999,0)),0))))

I played with the formula a little by adding apostrophes in front of a couple spots referencing the Pivot Table sheet, and removed a couple of parenthesis when an error came up about that. The result feels like the formula is now running but returns an NUM error that "Function INDEX parameter 3 value 830 is out of range."

Here is what formula looks like after I played with it a bit
=ArrayFormula
(INDEX('Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$2:$O$2,
MATCH(MAX(INDEX('Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$3:$O$999,0,
MATCH($C3,'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$B$999,0))),
INDEX('Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$3:$O$999,0,
MATCH($C3,'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$B$999,0)),0
)))

Upvote 0
Yes
Basically I’m pasting this formula into a cell or row 3, and c3 holds the ID to lookup in the other sheet

When I copy and paste the same formula to row4, then it’ll look for $C4. And so I’m down the sheet

Upvote 0
Is this what you are after?

=ARRAYFORMULA(INDEX('Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$2:$O$2,MATCH(MAX(INDEX('Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$3:$O$999,MATCH($C3,'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$B$999,0),0)),INDEX('Pivot Table - Monthly'!$C$3:$O$999,MATCH($C3,'Pivot Table - Monthly'!$B$3:$B$999,0),0),0)))

Upvote 0
Wow... that seems to be it.
Will further test, but after a few spot tests, it's working just right.

Genius!
Thank you Aladin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back