Need Mac Tweak for GetSaveAsFilename

dsrt16

Board Regular
I googled a tweak for the mac version of GetSaveAsFilename, but it was wanting to prompt the user to first resave the whole excel workbook with a new name before making the pdf, and it also didn't seem to work when I tested it on a Mac anyway. I can navigate Macs, so maybe it did work, but it never opened my PDF file, and I couldn't figure out if it had created it.

The code below works perfectly on my PC, but I need it to work for Mac users. The first part of the code is just creating the page setup: landscape orientation and narrow margins. I hope that works on a Mac.

The second part of the code is to save the print area as a PDF with the user creating the name of the PDF file. This does not compute on a Mac.

Could someone please advise how I could add a line that says IfPC do the code I have, If Mac, do this.....?

Code:
Sub Printrange1()

ActiveSheet.PageSetup.PrintArea = "$A$2:$K$25"

Application.PrintCommunication = False
    With ActiveSheet.PageSetup
        .LeftMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.25)
        .RightMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.25)
        .TopMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.75)
        .BottomMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.75)
        .HeaderMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.3)
        .FooterMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.3)
        .PrintHeadings = False
        .PrintGridlines = False
        .PrintComments = xlPrintNoComments
        .PrintQuality = 600
        .CenterHorizontally = False
        .CenterVertically = False
        .Orientation = xlLandscape
        .Draft = False
        .PaperSize = xlPaperLetter
        .FirstPageNumber = xlAutomatic
        .Order = xlDownThenOver
        .BlackAndWhite = False
        .Zoom = 100
        .PrintErrors = xlPrintErrorsDisplayed
    End With

Application.PrintCommunication = True

Dim FName As Variant
    FName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename( _
        FileFilter:="PDF files, *.pdf", _
        Title:="Export to pdf")
    If FName <> False Then
    ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=FName _
            , Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas _
            :=False, OpenAfterPublish:=True
    End If

End Sub

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
This is the Ron de Bruin page that seemingly addresses my issue: http://www.rondebruin.nl/mac/mac005.htm.

However, if I am understanding the code correctly, the user isn't creating the filename; it is a fixed file name with the string.

I would like the code to prompt the user to enter in the file name as it does for Windows.

For Windows when I run my above posted code, it sets the print area, changes the orientation to landscape and the margins to narrow, then it prompts the user to save the file with whatever name they want to give it and they can navigate to whatever folder they want to put it in, and then it creates the PDF and opens it right away.

With Ron's code, it is making the filename a certain string, and then just telling the user "ok here is what I called the file, and here is where it is found," which is odd to me. I want the user to be able to name it what they want and put it where they want.

But I am new to VBA and might be understanding the code found on the page I put earlier.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I had worked out some similar code for Macs which worked okay, but it was Excel 2011. In Mac Excel 2016, there are so many constraints, I never could get code to run the way I wanted on my own computer, never mind someone else's. I know it can be done, but I haven't had the bandwidth to work it all out. So for now at least I've disabled certain features in my Excel add-ins so only Windows users get them.

Upvote 0
Jon,

So are you saying it can't be done?

I found this code on another forum, but I don't quite understand what it will do.

Rich (BB code):
#If  Mac Then
GetName:
    Filename = Application.GetSaveAsFilename
    If Left(Right(Filename, 4), 1) = "." And LCase(Right(Filename, 4)) <> ".pdf" Then
        Filename = Left(Filename, Len(Filename) - 4) & ".pdf"
    Else
        Filename = Filename & IIf(Right(Filename, 1) = ".", "pdf", ".pdf")
    End If
    If MsgBox("Is this correct?" & Chr(10) & Filename, vbYesNo) = vbNo Then GoTo GetName

And this

Rich (BB code):
#ElseIf  Mac Then
' this section is for Mac users
fName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename
' tweak the name for mac users
If fName <> False Then
' if there's ".xls" or ".xlt" at the end of the name, remove it
If (Right(fName, 4) = ".xls") Or (Right(fName, 4) = ".xlt") Then
intLength = Len(fName)
fName = Mid(fName, 1, intLength - 4)
End If

fName = fName & ".pdf"
Worksheets(myName).SaveAs FileName:=fName, FileFormat:=xlpdf
End If
#End  If
But I am not sure I understand the whole fName, 4 bit--what it is doing.

If this isn't possible on a Mac, is there at least Mac friendly code that would print the correct range to a PDF file with a set name. I can give it a set name. Worksheet name plus overview would work. Each worksheet name is a year. So it would be 2018 overview or 2019 overview, and that is perfectly fine.

Honestly, the user doesn't have to create their own file name, but what I do need and hope to achieve is only the range specified is exported to a PDF and it is landscape with the narrow margins (otherwise the tables won't fit).

Is there a code for that for a mac?

Upvote 0
Without letting the user create their own name, which is fine, I used a different code, and it works on my PC. I don't really need them to create their own name as much as I was hoping they could choose where to save it, but I can let that go.

Would this code commute on a mac?

Code:
Sub Printrange1()

ActiveSheet.PageSetup.PrintArea = "$A$2:$K$25"

Application.PrintCommunication = False
    With ActiveSheet.PageSetup
        .LeftMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.25)
        .RightMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.25)
        .TopMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.75)
        .BottomMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.75)
        .HeaderMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.3)
        .FooterMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.3)
        .PrintHeadings = False
        .PrintGridlines = False
        .PrintComments = xlPrintNoComments
        .PrintQuality = 600
        .CenterHorizontally = False
        .CenterVertically = False
        .Orientation = xlLandscape
        .Draft = False
        .PaperSize = xlPaperLetter
        .FirstPageNumber = xlAutomatic
        .Order = xlDownThenOver
        .BlackAndWhite = False
        .Zoom = 100
        .PrintErrors = xlPrintErrorsDisplayed
    End With

Application.PrintCommunication = True

Dim filesavename As String

filesavename = Range("A2").Value & "_" & "Overview"

ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=filesavename _
        , quality:=xlQualityStandard, includedocproperties:=True, ignoreprintareas _
        :=False, openafterpublish:=True

End Sub

When I tested it on my PC, it worked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't say it can't be done, I said that I haven't had the time to get it working for my applications.

You should use Ron's approach. You can replace this:

Code:
FileName = ActiveSheet.Name & " " & Format(Now, "dd-mmm-yyyy hh-mm-ss") & ".pdf"

with something like this, to get a filename from the user, based on an initial suggestion:

Code:
FileName = ActiveSheet.Name & " " & Format(Now, "dd-mmm-yyyy hh-mm-ss") & ".pdf"
FileName = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Enter a file name:", Title:="File Name", _
      Default:=FileName, Type:=2)

Not as nice as a real file dialog.

And Ron de Bruin's page on GetSaveAsFilename for Mac is here: https://www.rondebruin.nl/mac/mac016.htm

Upvote 0
Thanks, Jon, for the link.

I think this is all getting way too complicated for my abilities. So do you know if this will compute on a Mac:

Code:
Sub Printrange1 ()

'enter code here to set the page setup and print area

Dim filesavename As String

filesavename = Range("A2").Value & "_" & "Overview"

ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=filesavename _
        , quality:=xlQualityStandard, includedocproperties:=True, ignoreprintareas _
        :=False, openafterpublish:=True

End Sub

User can't create own name, but that is fine at least it saves the print range as a PDF.

I got really confused because at first your message seemed simple before I went to the link you sent for Ron's page.

You said to replace this line

Code:

with something like this, to get a filename from the user, based on an initial suggestion:

Code:
FileName = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Enter a file name:", Title:="File Name", _
      Default:=FileName, Type:=2)

However, looking at the code on the link you sent me, I don't see that FileName line of code you want me to replace.

Ron's code uses some long, complicated function that is called in the Sub, but does not contain the line of code you mentioned to replace, and it looks like it is saving the whole workbook as an excel document, not saving a certain area as a PDF, and since I can't make sense of his function code, I can't tweak it.

I understood your replace this line with that, but then you said use Ron's approach which doesn't match. So yeah way too complicated for me. Will the above code where there is a set name compute on a Mac?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm off-line for a couple days. When I return maybe I'll fire up my Mac and see what I can figure out.

Upvote 0
I am no longer trying to get the Mac user to be able to save as their own name.

I am just trying to get the pdf to print with the correct margins. Since this is a new issue, I started a new forum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back