Showing the last saved date in a cell (external file)

Corleone

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi
Im currently using Excel 2010
Is there a way of doing the above?

the external file in question is in a separate directory "\\H:\Dashboards\P6Update
I would like my spreadsheet to just show the latest saved date of this file whenever it gets saved in cell C2

Thanks

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Hi,

Does it mean you need to always get the value of cell C2 from a closed file ...?

Upvote 0
No
I would like C2 in my file to show the current saved date of the external file "P6 Update" whether that external file is open or not

thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for clarification ...

You can use the following function :

Code:
<code class=" language-vbnet" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 3px; border: 0px; font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Andale Mono', 'Ubuntu Mono', monospace; vertical-align: baseline; text-shadow: white 0px 1px; word-spacing: normal; word-break: normal; word-wrap: normal; line-height: 1.5; tab-size: 4; background: none;">[COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]Function[/FONT][/COLOR] FileLastModified[COLOR=#999999][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR]strFullFileName [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]As[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]String[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#999999][FONT=inherit])[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]Dim[/FONT][/COLOR] fs [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]As[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]Object[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#999999][FONT=inherit],[/FONT][/COLOR] f [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]As[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]Object[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#999999][FONT=inherit],[/FONT][/COLOR] s [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]As[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]String[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]Set[/FONT][/COLOR] fs [COLOR=#A67F59][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR] CreateObject[COLOR=#999999][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#669900][FONT=inherit]"Scripting.FileSystemObject"[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#999999][FONT=inherit])[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]Set[/FONT][/COLOR] f [COLOR=#A67F59][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR] fs.GetFile[COLOR=#999999][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR]strFullFileName[COLOR=#999999][FONT=inherit])[/FONT][/COLOR]

s [COLOR=#A67F59][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#DD4A68][FONT=inherit]UCase[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#999999][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR]strFullFileName[COLOR=#999999][FONT=inherit])[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#A67F59][FONT=inherit]&[/FONT][/COLOR] vbCrLf
    s [COLOR=#A67F59][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR] s [COLOR=#A67F59][FONT=inherit]&[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#669900][FONT=inherit]"Last Modified: "[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#A67F59][FONT=inherit]&[/FONT][/COLOR] f.DateLastModified
    FileLastModified [COLOR=#A67F59][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR] s

[COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]Set[/FONT][/COLOR] fs [COLOR=#A67F59][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]Nothing[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#999999][FONT=inherit]:[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]Set[/FONT][/COLOR] f [COLOR=#A67F59][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]Nothing[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]End[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#0077AA][FONT=inherit]Function[/FONT][/COLOR]</code>

Hope this will help

Upvote 0
Thanks James
Excuse my ignorance

In the above code where would i place the C2 reference in the File im using (ie where the date would get updated) e.g sheet1 C2
And where would i reference the external file \\H:\Dashboards\P6Update

Cheers

Upvote 0
Re,

Sorry ... should have added an example ...in the code ...:wink:

Code:
Function FileLastModified(strFullFileName As String)
' example how to use Function in any cell
' =FileLastModified("C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Excel\Private\myfile.xlsx")
    Dim fs As Object, f As Object, s As String
    Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set f = fs.GetFile(strFullFileName)
    s = UCase(strFullFileName) & vbCrLf
    s = f.DateLastModified
    FileLastModified = s
    Set fs = Nothing: Set f = Nothing
End Function

Hope this clarifies

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oksanana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back