Skipping Blank Cells Using Array Formula

Just Anonymous User

How do I reference another worksheet that has information listed, but skip any blank cells without using VBA?

I tried using the formula from another thread:
{=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$22,SMALL(ISTEXT(Sheet1!A2:A22),ROW(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$22)),ROWS(A$31:A31))-ROW($A$31)+1,"")}

but I am still just getting an empty cell, instead of getting the next available cell with information in it.

Thanks,

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Control+shift+enter and copy down:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$22,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$22<>"",ROW(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$22)-ROW(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$22,1,1))+1),ROWS($1:1))),"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Control+shift+enter and copy down:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$22,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$22<>"",ROW(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$22)-ROW(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$22,1,1))+1),ROWS($1:1))),"")

I am accessing the information from Sheet 1 and utilizing the information for sheet 2. Would I need to put the formula for Sheet 2 into the formula?

Upvote 0
I am accessing the information from Sheet 1 and utilizing the information for sheet 2. Would I need to put the formula for Sheet 2 into the formula?

If the data is in Sheet1 and you want to have the results in Sheet2...

In a cell of Sheet2 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

If the data is in Sheet2 and you want to have the results in Sheet1...

In a cell of Sheet1 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$22,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$22<>"",ROW(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$22)-ROW(INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$22,1,1))+1),ROWS($1:1))),"")

Upvote 0
If the data is in Sheet1 and you want to have the results in Sheet2...

In a cell of Sheet2 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

If the data is in Sheet2 and you want to have the results in Sheet1...

In a cell of Sheet1 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$22,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$22<>"",ROW(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$22)-ROW(INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$22,1,1))+1),ROWS($1:1))),"")

I have cells A11:A29 for naming description, F11:F29 for quantity, and G11:G29 for cost in sheet 2. I want to incorporate this information into sheet 1, so I used the formula you have provided. I get A11 information from Sheet 2 since that is the first available cell with the information that I need. If the next available information is in A13 I would like to retrieve that, but the outcome is still a blank cell. I tried to click and drag the formula down into all the cells, but that did not work. How do I fix this problem so I can utilize it for each cell?

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Did you apply control+shift+enter before dragging down the formula?

Control+shift+enter: Press down the control and the shift keys at the same time while you hit the enter key. If done successfully, Excel itself puts a pair of { and } around the formula in recognition.

If still in trouble, try to post a sample along with the expected result.

Upvote 0
Did you apply control+shift+enter before dragging down the formula?

Control+shift+enter: Press down the control and the shift keys at the same time while you hit the enter key. If done successfully, Excel itself puts a pair of { and } around the formula in recognition.

If still in trouble, try to post a sample along with the expected result.

Going over the worksheet a little bit closer I realized that I was using the VLOOKUP formula on sheet 1, which was causing the issue because I was running into the N/A error message. When inputting the IFERROR formula into the VLOOKUP formula, it seemed to fixed the problem and populate correctly using the formula you have provided.

I greatly appreciate your time and thank you for the knowledge Aladin. I hope you have a great day!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oksanana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back