Dynamic COUNTA function based on user input (row #)

ExcelKnut

Board Regular
In cell C2 of sheet1 the user enters the row number of the header row for the 'new_report' tab. I need to count the number of header columns based on which row number the user enters (i.e. user enters 3 then COUNTA row 3, user enters 5 then COUNTA row 5 etc.) The formula below was my attempt at using COUNTA but it's not working--it always returns the value of 1. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

COUNTA("new_report!"&sheet1!C2&":"&sheet1!C2)

Jeff

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
WOW! Thank you Eric. That worked great.

I understand how COUNTA and INDEX work individually but I don't quite understand how they work together. If you could, please briefly explain.

Upvote 0
INDEX is really the key to this. We start off with the entire range 'New Report'!A:Z which has 26 columns and a million or so rows. The next 2 values of INDEX are the row and column of where to go within that range, starting at the upper left corner. So if we have INDEX('New Report'!A:Z,3,2) it would go three rows down and 2 columns over, or B3. You'll notice in the original formula I used a column reference of 0. One nice feature of INDEX is that if you use 0, it returns ALL the columns from the range.

So if C2 = 5, and our function is
INDEX('New Report'!A:Z,C2,0), we go down 5 rows, take all the columns, and that resolves to 'New Report'!A5:Z5. Then once you have that, COUNTA functions just as you expect.

Glad it works for you! :cool:

Upvote 0
Hi There, 1st time posting here but could really use some help.

COUNTIF(J16:J575,"on time")/COUNTA(J16:J575)*100

This formula is working but I need it to work only on visible cells. The spreadsheet is filtered and I want the averages for Late ontime and early to display and change when I change the filter.
This only stays the same when the filter is changed.

Any ideas?

- Jessy

Upvote 0
Hi Jessy, Welcome to the MrExcel forum!

First off, your question is substantially different from the question in this thread. For future reference, you should open a new thread when you have a new question. First, it's easier for people to find your question to answer it, and second, it keeps things neater.

But as long as I'm here, try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(J15:J575="on time"),SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET(J15,ROW(J15:J575)-ROW(J15),0)))/SUBTOTAL(103,J16:J575)*100

SUBTOTAL is about the only function that's aware if a row is hidden or not, but using it can be a bit tricky (as you can see!).

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Thanks Eric, Didn't work. just get the #REF ! appreciate the help. I have now learned how to start my own thread, so hopefully will get some more help on this.

Thanks again for the reply! Have a great day.

- Jessy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back