Formula help

markster

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I need to get up to speed with formulas, but I'm battling to meet a deadline to draw out key info on a 30,000 row spreadheet.

Basically I currently have a formula in U2 as follows: =IF(E2="","In Scope","Out of Scope")

I want to expand it do do other things but have no idea where to start.

So basically , I want it to look at E2 first and if it is blank, return "In Scope", except for where cell T2 contains any words listed in range Z2 to Z25 (basically this is a separate table that has words like Teaching, Tutor, Transition Payment, Overtime, Holiday Pay, Academic, Research (list is growing by the hour) if any of the words are present it returns 'Out of Scope'

Can anyone help?

Thanks very much.
M

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Looks like:

=IF(ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH($Z$2:$Z$25,T2))),"out of scope",IF(E2="","in scope","out of scope"))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like:

=IF(ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH($Z$2:$Z$25,T2))),"out of scope",IF(E2="","in scope","out of scope"))

Hi mate

Just tried this and it seems to return 'out of scope' for all regardless of what's in any of the cells - am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Mark

Upvote 0
Hi mate

Just tried this and it seems to return 'out of scope' for all regardless of what's in any of the cells - am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Mark

Does this better?

=IF(COUNTIFS($Z$2:$Z$25,T2),"out of scope",IF(E2="","in scope","out of scope"))

Upvote 0
Does this better?

Hi mate it's almost there the problem is that there are several words in T2 so this is the content of T2:

F7:Graduate Skills Course 2017-18

So the word "Graduate" is on my list of excluded words as T2 contains Graduate. If I delete the contents of the cell and type in Graduate the formula works but it doesn't work when there are other words present too. Can this be fixed? as i'm working with some very poor data.

Thanks so much.
Mark

Upvote 0
=IF(ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(" "&$Z$2:$Z$25&" "," "&T2&" "))),"out of scope",IF(E2="","in scope","out of scope"))

provided that $Z$2:$Z$25 contains no empty cell(s).

Upvote 0
=IF(ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(" "&$Z$2:$Z$25&" "," "&T2&" "))),"out of scope",IF(E2="","in scope","out of scope"))

provided that $Z$2:$Z$25 contains no empty cell(s).

Works perfectly thank you.
Have a great weekend.
Mark

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back