Bogging down

gambils

I have one Excel file that is slow to open, often crashes Excel, etc. The only "complicated formula" (I have some "left" and "right" trim formulas) the worksheet has are v-lookups but I have limited the ranges searched- not searching entire columns. I have also saved the file in binary format. so only 2,765 KB.

I experimented yesterday and saved as a 97-2003 file and it opens and works like a dream but not sure if that's the best way to handle this.

I am using Excel 2016, have 20G of RAM, but on this one worksheet little actions like inserting a line give me the error message about not having enough Memory, to consider up-grading to 64-bit Excel, etc. But, I am afraid that might be over-kill, might give me compatibility issues (I use 32-bit at home and all my colleagues do as well.

I have 6 tabs with very small data on each that I search with the v-lookups- for instance if a PO posts this month, I might see if I have it on the
"validated tab" where in a prior month, I researched the PO so I don't need to re-create the wheel and research it again. But, again, per the first paragraph I am searching on a small defined range of cells.

Ideas?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
whats the last cell used on each sheet? as in go on each sheet and press control + End

Are they going far beyond where they should be?

Upvote 0
On most of the sheets, the last one being used is in the very narrow range of where my data resides. On the PO search tab, however, even though in my v-lookup I am telling it to only look at a specified range, when I hit ctrl-end per your direction, it goes all the way to the bottom- row 1,048,576 So how do I rectify that?

Upvote 0
Yea its probably the cause of the slow down. Can you open the VBE (alt+F11) then press ctrl+G to open the Immediate Window. Then in the Immediate Window type the below and hit enter . MAKE SURE you have the troublesome sheet open as well

Code:
application.ActiveSheet.usedrange

Failing that (and sometimes it doesnt work for me) I would copy everything out of the workbook to a new workbook.

Upvote 0
Another option, if the above does not work.
Find the last used row on the sheet & select the row below > Ctrl + Shift + down arrow > right click > Delete.
Then select the first blank column > Ctrl + shift + right arrow > right click > delete.
Then save the file

Upvote 0
Yes, I did that, too, as some of the sheets continued to show an end at the very bottom of the worksheet. But I also discovered there was something on the first tab in my formatting that Excel didn't like for some reason. I cleared all the formatting and copied the data back from the original version of the file and that seems to have made the difference. Wish I knew what was wrong with the formatting to avoid doing it again but, as it's working, I'll let sleeping dogs lie! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webster33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back