Complete repeating data down empty rows

ad1234

Board Regular
I have a sheet with student details across 7 columns and then in the 8th are their classes. The classes populate down for however many rows there are classes (different for groups of students). What I need to do is have the student details data repeated for every class they take up until the next student (the next row that has data in it).

What is a quick way to do this?! There must be one but I cannot find what I am looking for anywhere!

Thanks
Adam

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
So are you saying when you enter a value in column(8) you want columns 1 to 7 automatically filled in?

So if you enter Math into column 8 of row 5 you want column 1 to 7 of row 5 filled in automatically.

How would the script know what data to automatically fill in?

You would need to fill in the first row for the student true?

So would it be true if Row 5 column 7 has a value entered then do nothing when you enter a value in column 8 of row 5

But if column 7 of row 6 has no value then to fill in data from previous row.

When you enter a value in column 8 of row 6

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply.

What I have is an export of student data: name, email, date of birth and then the first class they are in. The next row is blank up to the class column, then again for the third row and so on until all the student's classes are listed, then the next student with their first class, next row down is blank apart from their second class and so on for 1200 students. What I need is for the student data to be filled in on each row where they have a class in the last column until the next student details in say the 9th row down.
This is for import into a third party system which won't take data in the normal structure we export it in.
The only other way I could do it is to copy/paste or write a program in vb/python but guessed there must be a way in excel that would be quicker.

Upvote 0
I thought you said you had 7 columns of data and then in column 8 you had class.
But in your last post you said:

name, email, date of birth and then the first class they are in

This now appears to say you have 4 columns of data.
And class is in column 4

Can you clear that up.

See I would need to write a script looking down column 8 or 4

So I need to know are we dealing with columns 1 to 4 or 1 to 8

Upvote 0
A manual approach.
Select the columns you want to autofill > Ctrl G > Special > Blanks > OK > = up-arrow > Ctrl Enter.

Upvote 0
Thank you again. The manual solution is actually all I needed, didn't realise it could be that simple!

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back