joining info from two lists

Hutia

Dear All,

I am not sure it this can be done. I have some info one one tab from two spreadsheets; in one lists (columns A:G) there is some information, but no NHS number, in the other list (column H:I) there is the NHS number and some info. Is there a way to combine the information so that either columns A:G have the correct NHS number assigned to them, or all the info from columns A:G is added to the corresponding date of birth form columns H:I? My spreadsheet does not have headings (I only put them for your information)

Column A Coumn B column C column D Column E Column F Column G Column H column I

name date of birth address notes notes notes notes date of birth NHS number

It is probably too ambitious but I though I'd try to see if this could be done.

Many thanks for looking into this post.

Regards,
hutia

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Maybe but what you provided is too vague. You are looking for something in both lists that can identify themselves as the same. If you dont have that then you cant. You have only said there is a number and some info in one of the lists..

Upvote 0
Hutia,

It is always easier to help and test possible solutions if we could work with your actual file.

Perhaps you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com.

Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here.

Include a detailed explanation of what you would like to do referring to specific cells and worksheets.

If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Upvote 0
If you have 2 people with the same dob, how do you tell which is the correct NHS number?

Upvote 0
The NHS number only corresponds to dates of birth in column H, so if there was a case that H1=H2 they would have to have different NHS numbers, unless there was a duplicated entry.

I can see there might be a problem with column B as B1 might be the same as H1, and then B1 would have to have one of two different NHS numbers. Could we concatenate some of the info? I have tried but it did not work for me.

Upvote 0
I think you misunderstand. DOB is not an appropriate way to uniquely identify people. Lots of people share birthdays. Indeed in your list there are dates that are the same with different NHS numbers.

Upvote 0
Yes, I can see it now. Thank you all for your replies, and sorry to have wasted your time.

Regards,
hutia

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back