Excrutiatingly slow insert/delete times using table and defined names

HMSTPI

I have a file that is taking longer and longer to insert/delete/move cells/columns/rows now up to at least 10 minutes EVERY SINGLE TIME! I have tried absolutely EVERYTHING that I can find and am at my wits end.

I started from scratch to create a budget model that would provide forecasting options without the need to worry about formula inconsistency and, really, have everything working like I want -- except this one MAJOR issue.
The file is really quite simple at this point as I am still flushing out all of the forecasting options:​
only 3 data sheets
almost everything is in table format
about 200 defined names; about 1/2 are just cell references, the rest using if, sumif, index, match, indirect and offset functions
the longest table is only 350 rows -- and not all formulas​
There are NO:​
references to entire columns or rows
no conditional formats
no external connections
no shapes or images​
Here is what I have tried:​
recreating the file / copying data over to new file
deleted data validations
made everything the same font / removed bold, italics, shading, and borders
removed add-in and the formulas that used it
turned off unneeded background programs
saved the file locally
rebooted the computer
saved the file as .xslb

Absolutely NOTHING has worked-- in fact it just seems to get worse every time I try another insert/delete. I am on Windows 7, Excel 2016 64-bit with 2G memory and 118GB free space on C:. The Resource Monitor shows that, when acting on the delete/insert, only 12% CPU and 31% memory is in use.

I'm praying you can give me more ideas.

Thanks so much!

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Do you have any VBA code; especially event macros lake a Worksheet_Change procedure?

Can you upload a desensitized copy of your workbook on a file share site and post a link here?

Upvote 0
shoot -- it didn't tell me that .. I can't say that I've ever shared a file other than from one-drive that I guess would always require a login. Where /how else would I do that?

Upvote 0
I think the OP has probably just not marked the file for sharing.
HMSTPI, if not try using www.box.com or www.dropbox.com as we can probably guide you through sharing a file on those sites.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Admittedly, I haven't looked at your file yet, but what size is the file as a whole?

I had the same problem with a sheet I am working on and the problem ended up being that I had copied multiple formulas to the bottom of several rows (bringing them down 1.4 million rows...). This brought the file up to 24+MB in size! :eek: I replaced nearly all of the formulas with VBA Macros and that dropped it back down into the KB range. I also had to look at the formulas I did keep to make sure they were not populating otherwise empty cells with formulas (which they were) which was driving the size up as well. The bigger the file size, the slower it got.

Don't know if that info will help you or not, but it's worth a look.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back