Identify flat/plateau parts of line charts

lukasvjohansson

Hi,

i have a data base with x values (time/dates) and y values (price).

I have created a line chart, that show the price changes over e.g. a two year period, with each x being every 4 weeks.

So far so good.

However, i would now like to create some kind of formula or macro to identify the parts of the line chart which are "flat" or plateau like. I've managed to write dynamic formulas that can both identify maxi/minimi for the selected period and local maximi and minimi for defined periods as well. However, im struggling to come up with a way where i can select the data where there is a "plateau". The y values/price will change as i choose which product i want to look at. The price curve generally has some kind of incremental/stepwise pattern, and i would like to be able to select each step, and compare them with eachother. I want to be able to select and analyze each "jump" the price does against eachother.

In this dummy example the plateaus could be the 1's, 4's and 7's. And then i would like to compare the change in for example percentage between them. However, my data is much more irregular and it needs to be dynamic as the plateaus will be different in length and frequency.

Ive tried to play around with both st deviation, variance, moving average and so on and so forth, however, ive still not been able to actually create a formula which always select the whole period where the price has been flat/stable. The solution does not have to be graphical, but its always a plus to be able to visualize of course.

I know this is a very messy explanation, but Ill try my best to give further information if anyone has a first suggestion.

Best regards

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I should also add that the dummy data contains duplicates, which then would give the simple solution of a count if, however my data could be a "plateau of many ups and downs" consisting of unique values rather than duplicates.

Ive looked into the possibilty of using the second derivate and such as well, but i feel a bit lost.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back