Array formula - Count and Table functions

Excel_pal

Hello Excel Gurus:

Need your help on array function. I have two tables. Table A is the summary and Table B has the data. I would like three things to do in Table A with values feeding from Table B.

Status column in Table A: Based on value in column A (Project) of Table A, match it in column A of Table B and calculate how many Actions (column B) are ‘Done” and return in %. Ideally I would like to return as a sentence that reads X out of Y actions are Done.

Risk column in Table A: Based on value in column A (Project) of Table A, match it in column A of Table B and calculate the number of actions identified as R (column D, Table B). Even if it returns just the number of actions at risk is fine. Ideally I would like to read a sentence X action “Action 1”, “Action 2” are at risk.

Table A:
A
B
C
D
Project
Status
% Done
Risk
Project A
2 out of 4 actions are Done
50%
1 action "Action 2" is at risk
Project B
1 out of 2 actions are Done
50%
0 action "" is at risk
Project C
1 out of 3 actions are Done
33%
1 action "Action 1" is at risk

<tbody>
</tbody>

Table B:
A
B
C
D
Project
Action
Status
Risk (R,G,Y)
Project A
Action 1
Done
G
Project A
Action 2
In Progress
R
Project A
Action 3
In Progress
G
Project A
Action 4
Done
G
Project B
Action 1
To Do
G
Project B
Action 2
Done
G
Project C
Action 1
To Do
R
Project C
Action 2
In Progress
G
Project C
Action 3
Done
G

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
In B2 of Sheet2 enter and copy down:

=COUNTIFS(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,A2,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$10,"?*",Sheet1!$C$2:$C$10,"done")&" out of "&COUNTIFS(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,A2,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$10,"?*")&" actions are done"

In C2 of Sheet2 enter and copy down:

=COUNTIFS(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,A2,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$10,"?*",Sheet1!$C$2:$C$10,"done")/COUNTIFS(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,A2,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$10,"?*")

In D2 of Sheet2 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=COUNTIFS(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,A2,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$10,"?*",Sheet1!$D$2:$D$10,"R")&" action(s) "&TEXTJOIN(", ",TRUE,IF(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10=$A2,IF(Sheet1!$D$2:$D$10="R",Sheet1!$B$2:$B$10,""),""))&" is/are at risk"

Upvote 0
Worked like a charm. Thanks so much.

Two other enhancements I would like to add:
1. When no actions are marked as 'done', the value should return 0%. Right now its showing blank.
2. If no risks are assigned to any project, it should read 'Risks not identified'. Right now it reads 0 actions(s) is/are at risk. This way it separates from projects that have skipped for assigning risks vs project that truly have no risk.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Worked like a charm. Thanks so much.

You are welcome.

Two other enhancements I would like to add:
1. When no actions are marked as 'done', the value should return 0%. Right now its showing blank.

It does return 0, not blank. C2 should be formatted via Format Cells as Percentage.

2. If no risks are assigned to any project, it should read 'Risks not identified'. Right now it reads 0 actions(s) is/are at risk. This way it separates from projects that have skipped for assigning risks vs project that truly have no risk.

Thanks again.

In D2 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IF(C2,COUNTIFS(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,A2,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$10,"?*",Sheet1!$D$2:$D$10,"R")&" action(s) "&TEXTJOIN(", ",TRUE,IF(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10=$A2,IF(Sheet1!$D$2:$D$10="R",Sheet1!$B$2:$B$10,""),""))&" is/are at risk","Risks not identified")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back