Application.Ontime ?

zone709

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I been researching this today but i am getting stuck. I would like to run a Sub () in my personal workbook called Sub T205 () on Fridays at 6pm eastern time.

Not sure what Application.Ontime to use and where to put it into. Can I put it into my personal workbook to run that sub? Do I have to put it into Thisworkbook. Just not sure and been adding some
Application.Ontime to workbook, but nothing is happening. Any help would be great.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
I added this in my sheet into ThisWorkBook to test it. Even though I need it Fridays and a time. I tried testing this for now.

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Application.OnTime TimeValue("16:47:00"), "T205"
End Sub

Sub T205 () is in my personal book in Module 6. When it hits the time message comes up cannot run macro the macro C:\Users\frank\desktop\Book1.xlsm'!T205. The macro may not be available in this workbook etcc

I even placed T205 () macro in Thisworkbook. Still same error. I know I am doing something wrong, but cant figure out what.

Upvote 0
hi so after researching this i got it to work. I had to pu the private sub in workbook and the t205 macro in a module in that book and it worked.

I need help again though to have this run on a Monday and Friday at 15:00:00

Code:
[LEFT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]Private Sub Workbook_Open()
End Sub[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

How do I put that in this code for that to work. Any help thanks

Upvote 0
Still trying to get this. I look it up and not much comes up. I think I need something before the time stating a certain day to trigger this. Friday's at 16:47:00. If I can't get this then I can figure out how to add mondays.

Upvote 0
hi so after researching this i got it to work. I had to pu the private sub in workbook and the t205 macro in a module in that book and it worked.

I need help again though to have this run on a Monday and Friday at 15:00:00

Code:
[LEFT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]Private Sub Workbook_Open()
End Sub[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

How do I put that in this code for that to work. Any help thanks
Try this code instead of yours:

ThisWorkbook module:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    StartTimer
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
    StopTimer
End Sub
Module1 (standard module):
Code:
Option Explicit

Public NextRunTime As Date
Public Const cRunProc = "T205"  'the name of the procedure to run

Public Sub StartTimer()

Dim currentTime As Date, currentDate As Date

currentTime = Now
    currentDate = Int(currentTime)

If Format(currentTime, "hh:mm:ss") < "15:00:00" Then
        NextRunTime = Application.WorksheetFunction.Min(currentDate + (8 - Weekday(currentDate, vbMonday)) Mod 7, _
                                                        currentDate + (8 - Weekday(currentDate, vbFriday)) Mod 7) + TimeValue("15:00:00")
    Else
        NextRunTime = Application.WorksheetFunction.Min(currentDate + 1 + (8 - Weekday(currentDate + 1, vbMonday)) Mod 7, _
                                                        currentDate + 1 + (8 - Weekday(currentDate + 1, vbFriday)) Mod 7) + TimeValue("15:00:00")
    End If

Application.OnTime EarliestTime:=NextRunTime, Procedure:=cRunProc, Schedule:=True

MsgBox "The next run of " & cRunProc & " has been scheduled for " & Format(NextRunTime, "Dddd dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss")

End Sub

Public Sub StopTimer()
    On Error Resume Next
    Application.OnTime EarliestTime:=NextRunTime, Procedure:=cRunProc, Schedule:=False
End Sub

Public Sub T205()
    MsgBox "Hello " & Now

'Schedule this procedure again
    StartTimer
End Sub
The StartTimer routine schedules the next run of T205 on Monday at 15:00:00 or Friday at 15:00:00, whichever is soonest, with respect to the currentTime variable. Note that you can test the calculation of NextRunTime for different dates and times by replacing the currentTime = Now line with a specific date and time like this:

Code:
    currentTime = Date + 1 + TimeValue("14:00:00")
which sets the currentTime to tomorrow at 14:00:00. If you do this then comment out the Application.OnTime line because that looks at the computer's clock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First thing thanks for the response. I see now from your code that it was a little more then I thought it would be and thank you for the help. I see this as a start timer () Will this work if my excel is closed or only work when I open it as I have now Private, Because I can just run a schedule task to open the excel sheet on a Monday morning and Friday morning. as I wouldn't know another way, but I thought I read something that can trigger a private to trigger the macro after closing excel. not sure if that's possible.

Upvote 0
The procedure scheduled by Application.OnTime will only run if the workbook or the Excel application is open at the scheduled time. If you close the macro workbook while an OnTime event is pending, but leave the Excel application open, Excel will re-open that workbook to execute the procedure and will not close the workbook after the OnTime event is finished. See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.aspx for more details.

If you have a scheduled task to open the workbook on Mondays and Fridays then my code should still work. Whether you or the scheduled task opens the workbook, the T205 macro will be scheduled to run at the next required time, depending on the current time.

Upvote 0
The procedure scheduled by Application.OnTime will only run if the workbook or the Excel application is open at the scheduled time. If you close the macro workbook while an OnTime event is pending, but leave the Excel application open, Excel will re-open that workbook to execute the procedure and will not close the workbook after the OnTime event is finished. See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.aspx for more details.

If you have a scheduled task to open the workbook on Mondays and Fridays then my code should still work. Whether you or the scheduled task opens the workbook, the T205 macro will be scheduled to run at the next required time, depending on the current time.

Yeah thought so thanks again for the help. ?

Upvote 0

Just a correction to the BIB. In my code the Workbook_BeforeClose cancels the scheduled OnTime event, therefore Excel will not reopen the workbook because an OnTime event is no longer pending. The BIB is true only if the scheduled OnTime event is not cancelled.

Upvote 0
Just a correction to the BIB. In my code the Workbook_BeforeClose cancels the scheduled OnTime event, therefore Excel will not reopen the workbook because an OnTime event is no longer pending. The BIB is true only if the scheduled OnTime event is not cancelled.

I seen that at the end thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back