VBA Autofill

Balmer07

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi,

I am trying to create a macro to make my life a lot easier each month.
I download an excel file and need to add to formula's to each row. However the amount of data on the spreadsheet will vary month to month.
So what I need to do is have VBA put the formula in cell S2 and then drag it down to the last cell with data in it then stop. I can't seem to find a straight forward answer on this. Is a loop mybe better than trying to autofill?

Please advise,

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
What is the formula?
What column can be used to determine the last row?

Upvote 0
Might depend a bit on what that S2 formula is, but suppose S2 was =N2+2*J2+SUM(P2:R2)
and "last cell with data" can be determined from column A then all you need is

Code:
Sub EnterFormula()
  Range("S2:S" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Formula = "=N2+2*J2+SUM(P2:R2)"
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi folks,

The formula is an
IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(
It applies to the data in Row R

Does this help you?

Upvote 0
Hi folks,

The formula is an
IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(
It applies to the data in Row R

Does this help you?
Then the structure I gave you should do, except that if the formula contains any double quote marks they need to be doubled up in the formula.
So if S2 was =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("abc",J2)),M2,"Not found")
then the code would be

Code:
Sub EnterFormula()
  Range("S2:S" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Formula = "=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(""abc"",J2)),M2,""Not found"")"
End Sub

Upvote 0
My favorite approach is to have a table where I import Data (insert/table). If the data is 8 column, I put the formula once in the 9th first row and it will always populate all rows automatically (no code needed, the entire column of the table will be populated).
In VBA I prefer to work with table databodyrange than
Code:
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]Range("S2:S" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]
as well.
In addition to this, it has the tremendous advantage to have a dynamic range (the table extend automatically when adding rows) I can use for a pivot for example (no need to redo the pivot every time you add a row). Another habit is to have a macro refreshing this pivot when user come on its sheet so anyone can paste data, the formulae and pivots are always up to date.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back