If function across multiple columns with empty cells

Bob_ipc

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I could really use some help on this one. I currently have a formula that goes like this. =IF(H7:J7:M7:O7:Q7:S7:U7:W7:Y7:AA7:AC7<TODAY()+90,"Expires Soon",""),IF(H7:J7:M7:O7:Q7:S7:U7:W7:Y7:AA7:AC7,"","") the idea is to have "Expires Soon" notification pop up when the expire date is within 90 days. Some columns contain empty or blank cells. how can I make this work? Please Help.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Hi Bob,

What are you trying to achieve and do you have some sample data we can see to help you?

Upvote 0
I currently have a formula that goes like this. =IF(H7:J7:M7:O7:Q7:S7:U7:W7:Y7:AA7:AC7<TODAY()+90,"Expires Soon",""),IF(H7:J7:M7:O7:Q7:S7:U7:W7:Y7:AA7:AC7,"","")
Ignoring the blank cell issue for a moment, that isn't a valid Excel formula. Do you have one this is working if there are no blank cells?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Peter_SSs, thank you for the reply. I can use =if(h7< today()+90,"Expires Soon","") but how do I get it to tell me when 90 days is close in any of the other cells? and some cells are blank.< today()+90,"expires soon","")="" and="" it="" works,="" but="" how="" do="" i="" get="" to="" tell="" me="" if="" any="" of="" the="" cells="" listed="" come="" close="" 90="" days?="" also="" some="" cell="" contain="" blanks="" as="" well.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
The forum software thinks that a < sign followed immediately by a letter is some HTML code that it should act on. Add a space between to stop your formula or text being cut off, as I have done in your last post.

Do the columns that you are interested in have a heading that is different to all the other headings? Or contain at least something that we could identify the relevant columns by?

You seemed to be indicating columns H, J, M, O, Q, .. which, except for the jump from J to M, the rest are every second column. Can you clarify? Or better still post a small set of sample data and expected results that we can copy to test with? My signature block below has a link with help on that.

Upvote 0
So sorry it took so long for a response I had something come up, first thank you again for your response, below is an example of what I have, there are some training courses, each of them have and expire date. If the Name column is column "B" then I would like column "A" to display "Expires Soon" any time that any of the expire dates come close in that row for any of the employees.

I hope that helps.

Name
Orientation
Annual IPC Values Orientation
First Aid
WHIMIS
TDG
Cargo Securement
First Last
Employment Orientation
Issue Date
Expire Date
Date Issued
Expire Date
Date Issued
Date Issued
Expire Date
Date Issued
Expire Date

Bob
24-Jul-17
05-Jun-18
05-Jun-19
14-Dec-16
14-Dec-19
18-May-18
22-Oct-18

Abe

05-Jun-18
05-Jun-19

Abe

05-Jun-18
05-Jun-19

18-May-18

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thank You.

Upvote 0
See if you can adapt something like this
A1 holds the current date by formula.
A3 is copied down

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
119/10/2018NameOrientationAnnual IPC Values OrientationFirst AidWHIMISTDGCargo Securement
2First LastEmployment OrientationIssue DateExpire DateDate IssuedExpire DateDate IssuedDate IssuedExpire DateDate IssuedExpire Date
3Expires SoonBob24-Jul-175-Jun-185-Jun-1914-Dec-1614-Dec-1918-May-1822-Oct-1815-Aug-1822-Nov-18
4Abe5-Jun-185-Jun-19
5Expires SoonAbe5-Jun-185-Jun-195/01/201918-May-18
Expiring Soon

Another option you might want to consider is to highlight the dates in question. This could be done instead of or as well as the previous suggestion.
To apply this select from the top left data cell (I used G3) down to the bottom right and apply the Condition Formatting formula rule as shown. The column/row references in the formula should relate to the active cell (G3 for me) or the heading row of that first cell column (eg where I used G$2).

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
119/10/2018NameOrientationAnnual IPC Values OrientationFirst AidWHIMISTDGCargo Securement
2First LastEmployment OrientationIssue DateExpire DateDate IssuedExpire DateDate IssuedDate IssuedExpire DateDate IssuedExpire Date
3Expires SoonBob24-Jul-175-Jun-185-Jun-1914-Dec-1614-Dec-1918-May-1822-Oct-1815-Aug-1822-Nov-18
4Abe5-Jun-185-Jun-19
5Expires SoonAbe5-Jun-185-Jun-195/01/201918-May-18
Expiring Soon (2)
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
G31. / Formula is =AND(G$2="Expire Date",G3>=$A$1,G3<=$A$1+90)Abc

Upvote 0
Sorry it took me such a long while to get back to you again, But this is awesome it works 100%!!!! Thanks so much!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca142

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back