COUNTIF and Ignore Blank Cells

BristolBay

Im trying to write this formula below to also ignore blank cells. Any help would be appreciated.

=IF(COUNTIF(F$14:F$23;I14);COUNTIF(F$14:F$23;I14);"")

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Can you give us a small data set with the desired result and what you are getting. COUNTIF should not count blank cells unless I14 is blank.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum,

The formula you gave is incorrect. To see how to fill in the formula, highlight the cell with the formula and click on the IF function in the formula bar.

I'm a little confused as to what the problem is. A COUNTIF function will only look for the value in I14, so unless I14 is empty no empty cells will be counted by this formula.

Upvote 0
There is nothing incorrect about the formula provided. Semicolons are used in foreign versions of Excel.

The formula as written would show the value if any results were counted (Numerically 0 equates to false, non-zero to true), else blank

Upvote 0
The formula is part of an auto generated bill sent to customers. As some of you mentioned the reason why COUNTIF is counting blank cells is because the criteria cells is column "I" that contain the same formula are blank.

So COUNTIF is counting blank cells because the criteria is blank (I think), in this case the number of blank cells is 4. What I am trying to figure out is how to count those cells in column "F" when there are sometimes blanks. I am open to other suggestions and ways of accomplishing this, and yes I am in Europe so my Excel uses Semicolons. See my example below:

33o65v4.jpg
[/IMG]

Original Formula: =IF(COUNTIF(F$14:F$23;I14);COUNTIF(F$14:F$23;I14);"")

Upvote 0
I tested it and it doesn't seem to work. I get a blank cell as a result when using the formula in column "J".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back