Colouring batches of identical cells

kalabe

I have a table of data. For ease, say there are four columns, titled division (e.g. Africa, Europe), country, region (north/south), and city. The data is all sorted from column to column. I would like, in each column, to have any of the same batch of data one colour and the next batch a different colour. The effect is similar to the alternate row effect that word or excel can apply to a table automatically but instead I want it done by batches of the same data and for each column to be done separately.

I hope this is semi-understandable. For some reason I'm told I can't post attachments, perhaps because I hardly ever post?

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
You can use Conditional Formatting. Let's say your table looks like:

BCDE
1DivisionCountryRegionCity
2AfricaEgyptNorthCairo
3AfricaEgyptNorthThebes
4EuropeEnglandNorthLeeds
5EuropeEnglandNorthLondon
6EuropeEnglandSouthBath
7EuropeFranceNorthParis
8EuropeFranceSouthCannes

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet5

and your batches are defined when the Division, Country, and Region are all the same. Then you can select columns B:E, click Conditional Formatting > New Rule > Use a formula > and enter

=MOD(SUM(SIGN(FREQUENCY(MATCH($B$1:$B1&"|"&$C$1:$C1&"|"&$D$1:$D1,$B$1:$B1&"|"&$C$1:$C1&"|"&$D$1:$D1,0),ROW($D$1:$D1)-ROW($D$1)+1))),2)*(B1<>"")

Click Format... and choose a fill color. In this example, rows 4 5 and 7 will be highlighted.

Upvote 0
Eric, thanks for replying but I've not explained very well what I'm trying to achieve. To use your example, in column B, I would want Europe filled with grey, and Africa white. But in column C, I would want Egypt grey, England white, France grey. In other words each column is separately formatted so that the change of data in that particular column prompts a change in fill. But many thanks for having a look. It's not urgent so when I get home later I'll see if I'm able to attach an example from my home pc as I think I'm still not explaining myself well. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
That requires a somewhat easier rule. Select B2:D9999 (or however far down you want), click Conditional Formatting > New Rule > Use a formula > and enter:

=(1-MOD(SUMPRODUCT(--(B$1:B1<>B$2:B2)),2))*(B2<>"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back